Something going on here?

Dmuno

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
This isn’t the best pic of my roo’s leg, but is this coloring normal? I have two-three possible theories. Recently, I lost a baby roo and a smaller weaker silkie roo to a cat that got through my coop roof netting (since been secured). The baby got killed at night, so I shut everyone inside the coop and let them out during the day. I looked online and it said that cats rarely attack adult chickens so I thought they would be okay, but it got back in and killed my silkie roo in the daytime, but didn’t eat him (poor guy just got beheaded with the head still there). I then spent that evening and the next morning completely securing the coop and haven’t had any losses since. Taking a look at my birds, I noticed this pink color on my remaining roo, and am now concerned. Is it an injury from fighting the cat? Leg mites? Scald from the coop needing a clean? I can’t get a clear pic when I’m pinning him down because I need both hands to do so, but I notice one leg scale looking like it will fall off. I will check on him again in the morning when I can see better and before letting everyone out. I will make sure to clean and relitter the coop just in case and try to smear his legs with Vaseline to try and cover all possibilities but I’m worried about him. The feather sticking out that you can see came off when pulled along with another feather. Thoughts?

Attachments

• E4B4D17F-897E-4AC9-BD22-5257ED087079.png
    E4B4D17F-897E-4AC9-BD22-5257ED087079.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
6E7B80B4-E7F6-47D1-A81F-BAC266025D6F.png

I couldn’t wait so I took more pics of his feet with the obligatory cute roo bundled in a towel tax.
59BE7619-A45D-413F-BB2A-3CD0A0134730.png

Do you know for sure it was a cat?
I saw a black and gray tiger cat scramble off the top of my coop roof and it constantly kept coming around until I secured the roof netting. I also found gray hairs around a tiny opening I missed that it looked like it tried and failed to shove itself through (which I’ve now since also closed). I haven’t had any incidents after securing the coop so yes I think it was the cat.

So sorry to hear about your roos. I think that is normal roo leg coloring. Mine has pink coloring come and go through out the day depending upon his mood. It wouldn't hurt him to use the vaseline just in case though.
🤔 I didn't think cats tore the heads off chickens, but I could be wrong. You may have more than one predator hanging around. To me, it sounds more like a raccoon kill.

So sorry to hear about your roos. I think that is normal roo leg coloring. Mine has pink coloring come and go through out the day depending upon his mood. It wouldn't hurt him to use the vaseline just in case though.
🤔 I didn't think cats tore the heads off chickens, but I could be wrong. You may have more than one predator hanging around. To me, it sounds more like a raccoon kill.
Unfortunately not possible since I live in Japan and there are no raccoons here. We have weasels, snakes, foxes, and Tanuki. The only thing that could have gotten in through the roof netting is the cat.

Weasels are known to take off heads of chickens. They can get in through a 1 inch opening. The pink coloring is normal for fertile birds with certain skin colors, especially white or yellow skin. Sorry for your loss.
It happened during the day when I was at work, and weasels are nocturnal, right? Thanks for letting me know his legs are okay!

Back
Top Bottom