something got my girls

True, only mammals can contract and transmit rabies.

We are giving Joanie the chance to live. Heck, she fought her way out of the mouth of a fox! She deserves a shot, right? We also have placed one of the other hens in the infirmery - after close inspection she also has a bit of a bite mark, not quite as severe as Joanie, but we thought she could use some help. So they are both blu-koted and treated with terramycin, hanging out in a large horse trough in the garage. We tried to separate them by placing a divider down the middle, but Calamity jumped the divider to sit next to Joan, so I guess they are friends enough. They are from 2 different flocks, and Joan has been known to pick on the newer girls. Misery loves company, huh?

Yesterday, around noon, i heard a cacophony of screams coming from the hen house. I couldn't imagine what the matter was. Don't you know that darn fox was back? In broad daylight! I thought they were most active at twilight! It scrammed when it saw me. The girls are safe...the coop is completely enclosed, and the bottom has railroad ties on which the dog kennel -coop sits...the fox would have to do quite a bit of digging to get underneath, and with the NW jersey rock, would probably need some dynamite, too. the house has a cement floor, and is elevated on cement legs, mostly b/c of the hill it sits on. it's pretty predator proof. even the windows have wire mesh to keep critters from coming thru the screens. the house is an old tool shed. the girls' only threat would be a mouse!

Let's hope they both make it!

Back
Top Bottom