Something stole my marble eggs!

NancyP1

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Upstate NY
I found a guinea nest fairly close to the coop a few days ago. I took out the 3 eggs and replaced them with marble eggs. I collected 3 more guinea eggs yesterday. Went out this afternoon, found 4 guinea eggs, but the marble eggs are gone. I looked all over for them, they are nowhere to be found. I am thinking fox. Haven't seen the fox since I took a shot at it. So, since I don't want to loose any more of my marble eggs (they were my grandmothers) I put golf balls in the nest to fake out the guineas. Wonder if the eggs thief will steal those too?

I haven't seen a snake in a couple of years. The guineas seem to take care of them. There are some stray house cats, but I wouldn't think they would take a marble egg. Bet what ever it was has a belly ache.

the guinea nest is under a pretty big brush pile, fairly close to the house. Probably too close for a fox, but I do have alot of crows around! I will have an egg hunt today in the pastures!

I found a guinea nest fairly close to the coop a few days ago. I took out the 3 eggs and replaced them with marble eggs. I collected 3 more guinea eggs yesterday. Went out this afternoon, found 4 guinea eggs, but the marble eggs are gone. I looked all over for them, they are nowhere to be found. I am thinking fox. Haven't seen the fox since I took a shot at it. So, since I don't want to loose any more of my marble eggs (they were my grandmothers) I put golf balls in the nest to fake out the guineas. Wonder if the eggs thief will steal those too?
I find this quite remarkable as guineas will abandon a nest that has been robbed. I can't immagine the real eggs being left if they were there when the marble eggs were taken and why would a guinea lay in an empty nest? Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I replaced the marble eggs with golf balls, now they are gone too! Wow!
This doesn't make sense, either. Something, or maybe more than one something, has a sore gut today. Hope you catch the culprit/s......Pop

I hope it has a belly ache! When I discovered the marble eggs gone, I put the golf balls in. The guineas left me 4 eggs that day. The next day I left the guineas in their run, found 3 eggs in the coop/run. Today I will put a few more golf balls in the nest before I let them out of their run and keep an eye out all day. So far the guineas have not found the nest empty. Glad they dont know the difference between golf balls and eggs! Plus, I am losing guineas. Found one dead in my little barn yesterday, and one dead in the coop this am! I still have one guinea that is AWOL. Not sure if its on a nest or something got it. I have no clue what is happening here. Not liking it at all. I haven't seen the fox since I took a shot at it about a week ago, missed it, but saw the dirt kick up in its face. Will probably pick up a cheap game camera on my next trip out.

I check the found nest every morning before I let the guineas out. 2 out of 3 golf balls are gone again! So I put 2 more golf balls back in. Got 2 guineas eggs there today. Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring!

Back
Top Bottom