Something strange is happening with my hen… Updates with video’s attached. Any help and suggestions needed!

Pics
Any updates on your hen?
I’ve been giving the vitamins and nothings changed. She’s not better or worse. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She’s acting perfectly healthy and happy during the day, maintaining her 2nd place in the pecking order, laying eggs, and has gone broody multiple times since. I guess it’s just her thing now, she did start sleeping in the nest box so she doesn’t fall off of the roost at night with her seizure like things. She’ll still occasionally do the head tilts during the day but still just small ones like in the videos before. So not sure what’s up with her, she’s otherwise perfectly healthy and acts normal!

I’ve been giving the vitamins and nothings changed. She’s not better or worse. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She’s acting perfectly healthy and happy during the day, maintaining her 2nd place in the pecking order, laying eggs, and has gone broody multiple times since. I guess it’s just her thing now, she did start sleeping in the nest box so she doesn’t fall off of the roost at night with her seizure like things. She’ll still occasionally do the head tilts during the day but still just small ones like in the videos before. So not sure what’s up with her, she’s otherwise perfectly healthy and acts normal!
Such an interesting case. I'm glad she's still with us and otherwise healthy

Just wanted to update that Percy has just seemed to have stopped having the seizures at night and sleeps perfectly fine throughout the night on the roost! I have no idea what could have caused her to have these seizure type things suddenly, just to have them suddenly stop as well. I quit her vitamins a while ago. Perhaps some type of injury that resolved itself, we’ll never know!

Just wanted to update that Percy has just seemed to have stopped having the seizures at night and sleeps perfectly fine throughout the night on the roost! I have no idea what could have caused her to have these seizure type things suddenly, just to have them suddenly stop as well. I quit her vitamins a while ago. Perhaps some type of injury that resolved itself, we’ll never know!
So glad your hen is better.
I am posting this just because as @Shadrach stated there is a lot in this area we don't understand.
I too had a hen that had a seizure at night and fell off the roost. I had remembered Shad's hen Bracket felt it was similar - but I had less good video evidence. I caught a tiny bit of the seizure at the edge of the camera and then saw she slept fine on the ground.
The next night she moved herself to a nest box rather than the roost and immediately showed she was broody.
I let her sit it out and coincidentally added some chicks. She adopted them even though they were already nearly 3 weeks old and was a good mother to them for a number of weeks.
She then became rapidly poorly and died.
I did have a necropsy done and she had a huge intestinal tumor from Marek's disease.
I have no idea if the seizure, the broodiness and the tumor are related in any way, but I thought I would share in case it is helpful to others in the future.

Hi Guys - my hen Nelly ( who is older and a leghorn who is among the hens that lay a lot and don't necessarily live as long) last night had exactly the same thing you described tho she was NOT broody - hasn't laid for a while (I think of her as an old arthritic granny) We have a camera and it notified me of some activity and Nelly looked like she was about to preen but it turned out that her head continued past the preening stage and she flopped right off the perch. The second camera down at floor level showed her twisting her neck and kicking on her side. Seemed like a seizure. It happened again only just her flapping off the perch - nothing further - but what was it?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom