Sometimes we're born into the wrong family **long**

Quote:
Absolutely buy the book. There were things I thought were engrained in me that would never change until I read that book. And I know the feeling of wondering what people will think if you end contact. And yes, she probably will badmouth you, but she probably already is. For a long time that was the only reason that stopped me from cutting ties with my mother. Then I finally decided I deserved better, and you know what? If those relatives or friends believe my mother, than they don't know me very well, do they? I have many aunts and uncles all over the country, my mother has a huge family, that are not around and close enough to us to know better. So many of them believe my mother's lies. That's THEIR shortcoming, not mine. If someone would blindly believe something my mother says without giving me the benefit of the doubt, or without asking my version, then they are not someone I need in my life anyway! And the few who actually know better understand. But I made the tough call that being HAPPY was more important than being LIKED. It comes down to that.

My father did the same thing yours did. He didn't want to hear about my problems with my mother, and he used to say things that would infuriate me, like "she's still your mother", as though I'm supposed to give up my entire well being because she happened to give birth to me? Or he would trivialize it by saying "I know you're fighting with your mother..." I would repeatedly insist that no, we were not "fighting"; this wasn't a petty argument, this was a serious and permanent cutting of ties. And he also said "I don't want to get involved", but then would tell me things my mother had said, but didn't give me a chance to tell my version. Again, that is HIS shortcoming. For years this deeply bothered me, because I love my father more than anyone in the world. It hurt that he didn't want to understand. Only very recently, did he sit down and listen so that I could explain some of the things that my mother has done. And then he said "How come I never knew any of this?!"
roll.png
I said "Daddy, I've tried to tell you for years, you never wanted to hear it, you would cut me off and walk away". He finally said, "Well, I guess I was in denial. I didn't want to think the mother of my child could do those things, so I guess I didn't want to hear it". THANK YOU! This was years after I ended contact with my mother, so it took a while before he finally listened to my side of things, but he did.

Also, back to worrying about what others will think, it's no coincidence we are both SO worried about what others will think. That's how we were raised. We were the kid in the family who wanted to make things right, wanted to please everyone, wanted to be good, to show them how worthy we are of love. THEY trained us to be this way by treating us the way they did, so the next time you're worried about what someone thinks, remind yourself that your parents dysfunction is making you feel so needy, and you'll snap yourself out of it, like I did. There is no bigger people pleaser and worrier than me, believe me. I did it for years. When my entire family was drunk, passed out, neglecting responsibilities, I was the one who was sober, worrying, trying to take care of things, trying to make things right. We HAD to worry. But you CAN learn to draw boundaries and practice not worrying so much, believe me, if I can, you can. And sometimes when I think about it, it still gives me anxiety to wonder what the family thinks of me, etc., and if they believe the lies, which most of them do. But then I remind myself how much happier I am now, and then I ask myself, what did those relatives ever do for me anyway? Why am I so worried about what THEY think? They aren't God. At the end of the day, I need to be able to sleep with who I am, and I do much better in life without my mother in it. So I've trained myself not to care what they think. Once you get in my shoes, get "unbrainwashed" so to speak, you'll care less and less what people think, and it's very en-liberating!

Oh, and you mentioned not having friends, and what if your husband dies and you're alone. Let me ask you, would you rather be surrounded by people who you pretend are family, who mistreat you, don't listen to you, don't show affection... or would you rather be alone and with your dignity? You are already without them, they aren't plugged in. You really won't be losing anything but pain. You don't really have them now, do you? Just my opinion, but our situations are so similar, I feel pretty confident in my opinion on this. It can be so much better when you demand better.

Last edited:
I am saddened and yet relieved that all of these years that I thought I was alone in these feelings... and you all were in the same boat paddling like crazy too.

I have learned so much more on BYC than just chicken and quail stuff.
I have learned that no matter how alone I felt, I wasn't alone. I wish you all had not had to go through all of that. I guess that is why I will always take the side of a child. I know how lonely and overwhelming it can be. Children have no voice. No one believes them over the parent. not all abuse leaves visible bruises. the ones that cut the soul last the longest.

hugs.gif
and
love.gif
to all of us. we are strong enough to be different, and we are strong enough to be happy.

hugs.gif

One person briefly mentioned it, but I would strongly suggest looking into finding an Al-anon group in your area to attend - it's almost like free therapy session with people who feel and know just what you are going through - the same feelings of wanting to do good and having it punished instead, wanting to love and be loved, and being ignored, hurt or abused instead.

Growing up with alcoholics is VERY difficult and causes a heck of a lot of issues with learning how to love and/or react to them.

I have to jet to go to work and will be offline all weekend, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions at all about the program. I've spent years with it, and feel it's made my life MUCH happier and more comfortable, even with still being close with an alcoholic/addict parent. I know now my happiness is not tied to her actions. I'm me and I can be happy, she is herself, and she can be whatever she is at the moment. I can choose to love her as my mother and still have minimal contact with her when she's showing the manipulative and uncaring alcoholic side without causing pain and confusion to me.

LauraJean - you truely have a deep understanding of this issue- in your explaination of your early life I was amazed to feel that you were writing of my life - as were many others of us who have been through this - your eloquent words and understanding show an amazing person who overcame the obsticles life threw at them & became a whole and beautiful soul. I do not have the words to tell you what an inspiration you are & that how in sharing your story & insights you are touching many peoples lives. I just wanted to aknowledge you & tell you thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Just because they are a different denomination is not necessarily a reason to not at least visit and try them out. Doesn't hurt, and you might just find one that is a good fit, even if it isn't "your" denomination. And if none of them fit, you can still try the one that is farther away. A lot of times the differences between denominations can be pretty small--sometimes the differences between different churches of hte same denomination are larger.

Quote:
Aw, thank you so very much. I've spent my entire life trying to understand better, and to do better. Your kind words made me tear up, thank you so much for saying that. It's an unfair position those of us with these circumstances were put through, all we can try to do is understand and do the best that we can. If my sharing helps or inspires, then something good has come out of my experience, so that's great. As painful as my past has been, I don't think I would change it. It's helped me to be aware, sensitive and compassionate. I wish nothing but healing for all of us in this type of situation. Thank you again for your thoughtful words.
hugs.gif

Quote:
No, you aren't alone.
hugs.gif
Situations like ours can be difficult for "outsiders" to understand. So many things went on in our homes and with our family dynamics, that it's just hard to even explain to others. When I read the OP, I thought, "Wow, so much like my scenario", and look what's happened. A chain reaction with others relating too. If nothing else has come from our pasts, at least we have a sense of mutual bonding and that in itself can be very healing. Choosing happiness over a lifetime of pain and worrying is a challenge! But so worthwhile.

I just found this thread and read the whole thing. I agree with everyone who is saying that you will be much happier if you cut ALL ties to your blood family, at least until they change, which will probably never happen. I had to do that with my ex husband's parents -- spending the holidays with them was ruining the holidays for me. I dreaded Christmas, Thanksgiving, July 4, and so on. I dreaded any time that we had to spend with them. Finally put my foot down and said I wasn't going to their house any more, and stuck to it, and it was like a ton of weight came off my shoulders. It probably contributed to my divorce -- my ex is pretty tied to his parents, even though he isn't always very happy with them, either. I regret that, but the last few years have been so much happier and more peaceful!

I've been on the other side of the country for the last few years (a good thing!), but am probably going to be moving back soon -- but I'm not going to move close enough for them to come visit (my youngest DD still lives with me, and always will, as she's severely mentally handicapped -- they may want to see her. If so, her dad can come get her and take her to their place. I'm not having anything to do with them.).

The Bible says that when two people get married, they are to leave their parents and cleave to one another. It also says that anyone who doesn't take care of the people in his own house is worse than an infidel. Your loyalty, allegiance, and concern now needs to be for your husband and child, not for the parents who abuse you. It's a hard thing to have to go through -- and ought to make those of us with decent parents appreciate them even more! I hope things work out for you.

Kathleen

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I didn't realize when I posted this thread that I would get such a response. There really are quite a few of us here that have gone through the same thing (or similar) in our lives, huh? It does go to show that some of us are born into the wrong families...or maybe not, b/c we probably wouldn't be the people we are now if it weren't for what we went through.

(((((((hugs))))))) to everyone!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!! I wish no one on earth had to go through this!

I think I will check out an Al-anon group. It would be nice to have someone to talk to IRL that knew what I was talking about and how I was feeling. I had a huge cry last night, and I tried my best not to cry in front of my husband b/c he just doesn't get it. He tries to help, but it usually just....well, doesn't. I can't say much, though. He had a breakdown the day we moved (massive financial stress) and I panicked. I didn't know what to do, so I just called up his sister and said "OMG, I don't know what to do!!" haha She was nice and took off an extra half of a day and came to help us pack the truck. I was absolutely no help to my husband when he needed me.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom