What’s wrong with my duck?

This is her, she is a Buff Duck and I don’t think she stands abnormally tall? Her feathers have been fluffed all day, it’s in the 40 Fahrenheit so I don’t think it’s because of weather?
Extra fluid in the abdominal cavity “ascites” which causes their abdomen to enlarge and sag down can be due to heart failure, an organ issue, or issues with the reproductive system in female birds, or even a tumor.
If that’s what’s been going on with her the last few years I doubt it’s heart related, that progresses fairly quickly so it would point to an organ issue, or possibly reproductive, probably unlikely because those are progressive.
She looks fine from that picture but that isn’t a good judge, if you think her abdomen is abnormal it probably is.

When was the last time she laid an egg?

Her other symptoms, the watery and green droppings are from her not eating.

The tail twitching could be from her straining to pass an egg or she has an internal mass, possibly she is constipated as other users have mentioned.

It’s really hard to say because there could be any number of things causing this but considering that you were giving calcium supplements she could have hypercalcemia which can cause constipation, muscle and bone weakness, kidney issues and as it progresses heart and nervous brain issues.
If that’s what’s going on you need to flush her system, get her to drink as many fluids as possible, maybe try an oral flush/laxative like molasses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/

aha i found this
Calcium supplements cause few, if any, side effects. But side effects can sometimes occur, including gas, constipation and bloating. In general, calcium carbonate is the most constipating. You may need to try a few different brands or types of calcium supplements to find one that you tolerate the best.
I think that came from the Mayo Clinic? That quote is correct except that it’s misleading, they do cause few side effects when taken correctly. Calcium can build up in the blood stream if taken in too high of dosages over a period of time and causes numerous problems. It only briefly lists the dangers at the bottom of the page which is a major error on their part. Usually their information is great, wth.

Extra fluid in the abdominal cavity “ascites” which causes their abdomen to enlarge and sag down can be due to heart failure, an organ issue, or issues with the reproductive system in female birds, or even a tumor.
If that’s what’s been going on with her the last few years I doubt it’s heart related, that progresses fairly quickly so it would point to an organ issue, or possibly reproductive, probably unlikely because those are progressive.
She looks fine from that picture but that isn’t a good judge, if you think her abdomen is abnormal it probably is.

When was the last time she laid an egg?

Her other symptoms, the watery and green droppings are from her not eating.

The tail twitching could be from her straining to pass an egg or she has an internal mass, possibly she is constipated as other users have mentioned.

It’s really hard to say because there could be any number of things causing this but considering that you were giving calcium supplements she could have hypercalcemia which can cause constipation, muscle and bone weakness, kidney issues and as it progresses heart and nervous brain issues.
If that’s what’s going on you need to flush her system, get her to drink as many fluids as possible, maybe try an oral flush/laxative like molasses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
Mm yeah I don’t think her body looks abnormal because it’s been like that for maybe a year and a half. I think maybe the last time she layed an egg was last summer, but she layed a membrane egg two weeks ago.

Oh man, okay good to know. I feel like it’s so hard to know what to do because I don’t understand exactly what’s wrong with her. Is there specific symptoms of hypercalcemia that I could look for?

Mm yeah I don’t think her body looks abnormal because it’s been like that for maybe a year and a half. I think maybe the last time she layed an egg was last summer, but she layed a membrane egg two weeks ago.

Oh man, okay good to know. I feel like it’s so hard to know what to do because I don’t understand exactly what’s wrong with her. Is there specific symptoms of hypercalcemia that I could look for?
Well then she could have an egg stuck, but it could be an issue with calcium, too little or too much. The risk of it being too much is there so I don’t think you should give her any.
You could stick her in a tub of warm water, it will help her to relax and pass an egg if that’s the issue, if she’s constipated it will also help her relax her intestines and hopefully help her pass whatever’s in their.

right thanks goose baby youre awesome 😎
it does sound like all the calcium in the layer feed while she wasn’t laying all winter could’ve built up that’s why we don’t give layer feed. I let them take what they need from a dish of oyster shell on the side.

Well then she could have an egg stuck, but it could be an issue with calcium, too little or too much. The risk of it being too much is there so I don’t think you should give her any.
You could stick her in a tub of warm water, it will help her to relax and pass an egg if that’s the issue, if she’s constipated it will also help her relax her intestines and hopefully help her pass whatever’s in their.
Okay Thankyou! I’ll start with this:)

it does sound like all the calcium in the layer feed while she wasn’t laying all winter could’ve built up that’s why we don’t give layer feed. I let them take what they need from a dish of oyster shell on the side.
Oh that’s good to know, so we mix the oystershells and grit all in with the feed, and we have done this for the hole time we have had ducks, do you think if we separate them they would adjust and start eating them separately?

Oh that’s good to know, so we mix the oystershells and grit all in with the feed, and we have done this for the hole time we have had ducks, do you think if we separate them they would adjust and start eating them separately?
And Thankyou so much guys for taking your time to chat with me and help it’s so appreciated!!:D

It could be either, too much calcium or too little. The best way to tell would be to have a vet do some blood testing, if they do their own lab work results could be in that day, but if they’re an average vet they send samples off and results will usually be in 3 to 4 business days which is pointless when one has a sick bird that needs immediate treatment, and then if they’re like the last vet I went to the results will be in someday, maybe, whenever she feels like responding.😑

Back
Top Bottom