Somthing killing my hens in their covered cage

maxieboy1

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Every day I wake I find 1 or 2 hens dead. There necks are stripped of feathers and skin. There main body is somewhat intact, pecked or torn but not eaten.I have checked every where for holes, many many times. Could this be another hen doing this?

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry that you are joining us under such unhappy circumstances.

We may need information to guess at what may be happening here. How are they being housed? Your title says "caged." Is this an actual cage, or are they in a secure coop at night? How large are any openings? How many hens do you have in what amount of space? Where are you located - what sort of predators are in your area?

Hopefully, if we have a more complete picture we can make some suggestions.

Ive only had chickens for 1 year,so not too experienced....but what abour Red Mites ?? Just a thought,i am really sad for you xx

If you have some aggressive breeds like old english game and other fighting cocks it could be a another cock killing them, i doubt it would be a hen as in a girl chicken.
sad.png

The hens ,22 at this time, are in a50 by 60 covered pin. Even have wire extending out 2 ft on ground.Wire is 1". Hen house is secured as well.I have all hens.What ever is doing this pulls off chunks of neck skin and feathers. We have fox, racoons and hawks. I cannot fine any sign of anything coming thru the wire.

Are they near the fencing when you find them? A raccoon has very flexible little hands and has the ability to grab through the wire. Rats can get through a one inch opening as well, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom