Sort of frustrated with Hoover's Hatchery, but giving them another chance.

Late last year I put in an order with Hoover's Hatchery for 22 Partridge Chanteclers. 15 pullets and 7 cockerels. My plan was to keep nearly all the pullets, minus any that had obvious genetic defects, and keep the two best cockerels for breeding purposes wow butchering the remaining five. I live in the same town as cackle hatchery, and if they carried Partridge Chanteclers I just pick them up from there in person. But alas, no one near me has this breed so shipping chicks was the next option. I place an order to be shipped on January 31st, they arrived two days later. Unfortunately, and I should have planned for this, there were four dead and three would fade over the next 48 hours. I contacted Hoovers and they promptly refunded the seven that it died. At that point I was down to 15 birds. 2 weeks later 2 chicks escaped and a field rat finish them off leaving me with 13 birds. My fault.

Here's where it gets frustrating. Now that I've had the birds for almost 5 weeks, and they've started to grow quite a bit, I realized that a number of them were not partridge chanteclers. 5 of the remaining 13 birds have single or pea combs, instead of the fusion combs chanteclers have.
I contacted Hoover's Hatchery again and they promptly refunded me and I ordered another 15 after they apologize for the mix-up. But how do you have a mix-up like that? I did some digging on this website and found someone else that ordered this breed last year and ended up with a decent number of Partridge rocks.
Anyways, I guess I'm just venting a little bit. A month of feed into a couple of dozen birds really isn't much. It's $15 in the grand scheme of things. But now I'm also feeding chickens of a breed that I'm not sure what they are and didn't plan on raising them in the first place.
hoover's is terrible :mad:

But tractor supply gets their chicks and ducks from hoovers
I thought that was the point: same actual source of the chicks or ducklings, but Tractor Supply gets to deal with any that die while being shipped. I can see that as a possible benefit.

On the other hand, having them shipped directly to you from Hoovers will mean TSC cannot mis-label them or mix them with anything else, so you have a better chance of getting the kind you think you are getting.

We ordered female partridge Chanteclers from Hoovers last summer through a Runnings store since we only wanted 6 chicks. Apparently partridge color wasn’t hatching so they changed the order to Buff Chanteclers instead without letting anyone know. Of the 6 we got one male and one Buff Orpington. When I called about it the gal said that happens sometimes they have all the hatched chicks in alphabetical order in tubs next to eachother and they can hop tubs. You could’ve gotten a different breed, check out the breeds closest alphabetically to partridge Chantecler and see if those chicks match. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom