Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

Thanks Lizgarf.

OP is Original Poster aka thread starter.

The box works well for us, but it means an extra job hand carrying each male to the box, and releasing them in the morning. We had three younger boys in there which was a few trips up and down the yard.

I have concerns with the zip tie getting tighter if it's knocked or something, so thats why I was thinking of pinning the ratchet so it can't get tighter or more loose. My first velcro band did not work on two of our roosters, but a band or sock would be better suited and flexible for our growing boys.

I have read of people putting their boys in some funky places, your crawl space sounds fine, but you also need to consider how you will go about this chore daily, or if you are away how someone coming to look after your birds can manage it.

Just need a bit more practice and a few designs to try find the sweet spot.

I have read of people putting their boys in some funky places, your crawl space sounds fine, but you also need to consider how you will go about this chore daily, or if you are away how someone coming to look after your birds can manage it.
Putting Desi in a cat carrier inside the crawl space would be a fairly easy chore for myself to manage - not much more time than I already spend closing the run door and reopening it and giving them some morning scratch. But, the catch would be going away. In general, dealing with Desi will be harder for a critter-sitter than my flock of 5 hens were the last time I went away for a long trip. I was mostly wondering what you thought of having him sleep in a cat carrier - does that sound cruel? And if not, would it help prevent him from extending his neck to crow?

My homemade collar #3 did fairly well today with my first adjustment attempt (in the dark after Desi's second round of pre-dawn crowing in a poorly-adjusted collar #2). He only did a few mid-volume crowks -- crows which trail off into a croak. If it keeps working like this, it might be the best solution. I cut a 2.5 x 10 in strip off a cloth napkin (I probably could have thought of something better to use if I hadn't felt rushed), and sewed three 3/4 in. strips of velcro onto it. The result is softer/more flexible than the neoprene collar with one thick piece of velcro, but it should be just as effective, if not more so, due to it being slightly wider. It's bigger and has wider velcro than the purchased collar. The fabric might not hold up very long.

Sorry it's not prettier (and yes, I have cats, how could you tell?):

Last edited:
Personally, darkness and neck extension don't seem to impact the crow. I have watched our boys crow with their head starting at normal height and dipping down so the height thing has never worked for us.

Depending on the size of the cat carrier I don't think it cruel. Some have said my box is cruel, but they have more room than on a perch huddled by other birds. SOme say collars are cruel too, but hen saddles are not, or bridles or dog leashes so I guess it's a matter of perspetive. I would rather try make our boys quiet than eat them.

Your #3 looks good, keen to hear how it goes.

Personally, darkness and neck extension don't seem to impact the crow. I have watched our boys crow with their head starting at normal height and dipping down so the height thing has never worked for us.

Depending on the size of the cat carrier I don't think it cruel. Some have said my box is cruel, but they have more room than on a perch huddled by other birds. SOme say collars are cruel too, but hen saddles are not, or bridles or dog leashes so I guess it's a matter of perspetive. I would rather try make our boys quiet than eat them.

Your #3 looks good, keen to hear how it goes.
Thanks, that's very helpful information about the darkness/space to crow. I'm guessing that with my very determined rooster and the crawl space being underneath my house, it won't really solve the problem of his waking me up, though it would be a little quieter for the neighbors.

At this very moment, I can hear Desi's crowks with collar #3. They are quieter than his regular crows and not as long, but if some neighbor was really upset at the idea of my having a rooster, they could complain about it. I'm doubtful I could get it tighter. My closest neighbors have told me they don't mind, but they can't speak for everyone. And, yes, as a vegetarian, I certainly feel that the collar is better than the alternative for Desi, though he hasn't expressed that opinion yet. Since he's a beautiful pure bred BCM, I could probably find him a good home. But, I hate the idea of separating him from his flock and he's got a great set-up here (and I like looking at him!). I can't promise his life without the collar would be better than with it, but I'm open to the idea if the right home presents itself for him.

I tried putting Desi in the cat carrier in the crawl space overnight, and it actually worked well - for me at least, I doubt he was happy with it. I only heard noise once, and it wasn't quite a crow and it was just one time, as opposed to the many crows in a row he normally does, so I think the carrier may physically restrict him from crowing. I don't love the idea of his being in there alone or of cleaning the carrier out each day, but putting him in the carrier and inside the crawl space and back out again was not particularly inconvenient.
Doing this plus the collar, which still just reduces the volume of the crows, might be a workable solution for my neighborhood - at least until I go on vacation. I've also made a flier to give to my neighbors with cute pictures and asking them to let me know if they have been bothered by Desi. We'll see what they say! It's a little risky, but I really don't want them going to the city about it before talking to me.

Very interesting post. Keep up the good work.
big_smile.png

I keep miniature game fowl. They crow constantly during the day. My 5 acres is in the city limit of a small town in an intolerant county. I had been reading about different methods of decrowing. I had read about the rooster collar. I had a roll of 3/4" Velcro from the craft store. Went out the other day and fiddled about for awhile. Finally cut perfect little collars, i didnt measure them but prob like 4" as they are 2-3lb roosters. I placed directly under chin and wattles, loosely where they just dent the feathers, so they can still eat and drink. I haven't heard a peep from them in days. It took a few hours for some to get used to it, but They act pretty normal other than they don't make noise. So far

I keep miniature game fowl. They crow constantly during the day. My 5 acres is in the city limit of a small town in an intolerant county. I had been reading about different methods of decrowing. I had read about the rooster collar. I had a roll of 3/4" Velcro from the craft store. Went out the other day and fiddled about for awhile. Finally cut perfect little collars, i didnt measure them but prob like 4" as they are 2-3lb roosters. I placed directly under chin and wattles, loosely where they just dent the feathers, so they can still eat and drink. I haven't heard a peep from them in days. It took a few hours for some to get used to it, but They act pretty normal other than they don't make noise. So far
Great result, Capt! I wonder if the collars work better on small birds - the lady who sells them mostly has bantams. I can hear Desi crowing right now. I don't think he's as loud as he would be without the collar, but I haven't been able to get it right or tight enough to stop him from crowing altogether.
Are yours 4" long and just as wide as the one piece of velcro, or did you sew multiple pieces of velcro onto some sort of fabric?

Back
Top Bottom