Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

Oh...I know your pain. We are also "playing" with the collar. It is soooo sad to see him walk backwards running into everything in his path (one thing I so love about roosters is their pride....and dignity). At that point his crow isn't yet silenced. So we adjust it and then he acts as if he doesn't have enough oxygen and lays head down on the ground, he is breathing though... At that point I whip that collar off him.
Problem is, we appear in court tomorrow. I really need this thing to be effective! I also need to find the guts to let him get use to it?
Feedback?
Oh my, by now you may have had your court session. How did it go?
It does sound that you've made it as tight as you can - the description of him laying his head down on the ground is worrisome. I don't think I would be comfortable with that (let alone my roo).
The collar has not worked perfectly for me - he's still too loud for my preferences - but I can't seem to adjust it tighter and no one has complained, so we're in a holding pattern.

A lot of good information and some funny stories! Question: have any of you tried these collars on a naked neck rooster? The Velcro sounds like it's most effective but I wonder if it would be too rough on my poor Igor's neck.
It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to put a collar on a naked neck than on a feathery one! I would feel better with cloth or the soft side of the velcro on the neck for both feathered necks and non-feathered necks. I think the collar has made my roo lose most of his neck feathers anyway. :(

Well so far my rooster still crows but it seems a bit less. i think its getting the idea of it and the noise it makes when it crows. at first it was trying to "out chime it" but it didn't work so now it seems a bit less.. keep you all posted. i put it up only 2 days ago. i am hoping he gets the idea. :)
Hi Angel, did you have any success with the anti-bark bird-feeder device with your rooster? I've been wondering if I should give it a try. I don't want to annoy the hens with it, but I've been getting tired of Desi's (even slightly muffled) crowing lately.

HI Lizgarf, well it didn't stop my rooster. I had to get rid of him unfortunately. It did stop all the small dogs in the area though from yapping all the time ;)

yuckyuck.gif

Oh my, by now you may have had your court session.  How did it go?
It does sound that you've made it as tight as you can - the description of him laying his head down on the ground is worrisome. I don't think I would be comfortable with that (let alone my roo).  
The collar has not worked perfectly for me - he's still too loud for my preferences - but I can't seem to adjust it tighter and no one has complained, so we're in a holding pattern.

Set over again! They only Allowed us to either plead guilty or not guilty of course we pleaded not guilty. Then they made us turn around and leave. Get this… I get home and took the advice of Pat Foreman, the lady at the livestock conservancy recommended that I contact her… She is the author of "City Chicks" and a huge advocate for stainable living. She was real busy but told me to find the exact rooster ordinance. And I did… But I really didn't, because, come to find out, get this… There Is No Chicken Ordinance in my city Nor Is There A Rooster Ordinance :) LOL what I found out is that they "say" that chickens are allowed and roosters are not allowed within city limits. There are no ordinances written~ there are no flock size limitations, there are no restrictions or coop requirements~ nothing!!! It's interesting, in the May city newsletter, they have a section where it says "Roosters are not allowed in city limits" and then that is followed up with an ordinance code which anyone would assume was the chicken/rooster ordinance, but NO. The code is only the city noise ordinance!! Pretty presumptious if not downright discrimination ask me but that's another subject. At first when she asked me to find the ordinance I was a little puzzled because she said that is the number one thing to do! Smart lady!! She knows what she's doing!! This is what she does, she creates chicken laws and she obviously had her radar on telling me that. She probably runs into this all the time.. So to answer your question nothing happened today, they will mail us a letter informing us of the date of our trial… Trial… Seriously?. Just one last thing, she referred me to a man by the name of Pete Kennedy, president of the FCLDF (Farm-To-Consumer -Legal-Defense Fund. She also mentioned landmark decisions are made with this sort of thing. So you know what? I'm retired. I'm a little bored being retired. So I think I'm going to get me some landmark decisions made!
In the meantime though… I'm going to spend some time figuring this dang rooster color thing out. I went to JoAnnes fabrics a couple nights ago and picked up all kinds of gear to try to make our own collar. What I like most is this really soft elastic that I found. It's on the thick side but also very very soft. I even found one that is white with little gold specs in it… Just like the feathers of a Sultan Roo I know;) we also purchased some really good velcro made especially for fabric. Boy oh boy, I sure hope I can get this crowing situation handled without feeling like I'm damaging him or his character! I'm thinking he's going like the white & gold though I really do LOL
And,
Thanks for asking!
Wordy I know. That happens with me sometimes.....

Set over again! They only Allowed us to either plead guilty or not guilty of course we pleaded not guilty. Then they made us turn around and leave. Get this… I get home and took the advice of Pat Foreman, the lady at the livestock conservancy recommended that I contact her… She is the author of "City Chicks" and a huge advocate for stainable living. She was real busy but told me to find the exact rooster ordinance. And I did… But I really didn't, because, come to find out, get this… There Is No Chicken Ordinance in my city Nor Is There A Rooster Ordinance :) LOL what I found out is that they "say" that chickens are allowed and roosters are not allowed within city limits. There are no ordinances written~ there are no flock size limitations, there are no restrictions or coop requirements~ nothing!!! It's interesting, in the May city newsletter, they have a section where it says "Roosters are not allowed in city limits" and then that is followed up with an ordinance code which anyone would assume was the chicken/rooster ordinance, but NO. The code is only the city noise ordinance!! Pretty presumptious if not downright discrimination ask me but that's another subject. At first when she asked me to find the ordinance I was a little puzzled because she said that is the number one thing to do! Smart lady!! She knows what she's doing!! This is what she does, she creates chicken laws and she obviously had her radar on telling me that. She probably runs into this all the time.. So to answer your question nothing happened today, they will mail us a letter informing us of the date of our trial… Trial… Seriously?. Just one last thing, she referred me to a man by the name of Pete Kennedy, president of the FCLDF (Farm-To-Consumer -Legal-Defense Fund. She also mentioned landmark decisions are made with this sort of thing. So you know what? I'm retired. I'm a little bored being retired. So I think I'm going to get me some landmark decisions made!
In the meantime though… I'm going to spend some time figuring this dang rooster color thing out. I went to JoAnnes fabrics a couple nights ago and picked up all kinds of gear to try to make our own collar. What I like most is this really soft elastic that I found. It's on the thick side but also very very soft. I even found one that is white with little gold specs in it… Just like the feathers of a Sultan Roo I know;) we also purchased some really good velcro made especially for fabric. Boy oh boy, I sure hope I can get this crowing situation handled without feeling like I'm damaging him or his character! I'm thinking he's going like the white & gold though I really do LOL
And,
Thanks for asking!
Wordy I know. That happens with me sometimes.....

Back
Top Bottom