Sound of Silence 6am - No More Crowing

First off, i couldn't sew a button on to save my life. I have 3 cockerels with homemade collars. I used the thick hemmed edges from an old towel and duct tape (neon green if that matters). Towel part on the inside, duct tape outside only. Collar is the width of the tape. There was some initial drama but now they're ok.

Tips: You should be able to fit medium sized woman's pinkie finger underneath collar but fit is quite snug. Watch them carefully for a while to make sure they can breathe, eat, and drink. Keep them in a small space at first because they will run backwards and crash. Adjust and keep adjusting. They will act like , "Why are trying to ruin my (love) life?" But they'll get used to it. If you've ever tried to dress up a cat or watched someone else doing it, the initial reactions are similar. Be safe and muffle your laughter.

I didn't have other birds pecking at the collar itself, but they pecked at the rooster with the collar. He is now at the bottom of the pecking order, whereas he used to rule the whole property. He is rooster #12 out of 13. (#13 being the lowest on the pecking order.)
It makes sense, unfortunately. The cockerel that we put the collar on is already at the bottom of the pecking order among other cockerels (but he is darn load and clear crowing, when others are still silent). Today I saw a pullet pulling him by the collar, and she is lower in the pecking order. :(

At least he stopped crowing in the afternoon, after I tighten the collar a little bit. He no longer trying to get it off him, but he has been hiding in the coop for the most of the day today, poor thing :(

wow did this continue to work? I have a young rooster not crowing yet, and can't keep him if the neighbors hear him. Maybe should get ready and used to the sock ahead of time

wow did this continue to work? I have a young rooster not crowing yet, and can't keep him if the neighbors hear him. Maybe should get ready and used to the sock ahead of time
it works. Not the sock, but a velcro strip attached to a soft cloth. The crow can be adjusted. We tried that on 6 roosters, and on 4 of them we could make it almost silent. The other two are still crowing, but at 30% of their volume - these two are the smaller roos, Welsummer and Ameraucana. Looks like it works the best on large breeds.

How did this work out in the long run? I just realized I have a young rooster and wonder if I should try fitting a sock on him BEFORE I suspect he will start crowing.
Cant keep him in my neighborhood if neighbors hear him - and we all live close together

Sock is too stretchy, it will not work that well. Keep in mind that they will still crow. Less frequently, and less loud. The volume gets adjusted by tightening the velcro collar. It will not silence them 100%. You will still hear it, but not many people will recognize a rooster crow out of that muffled sound.

Sock is too stretchy, it will not work that well. Keep in mind that they will still crow. Less frequently, and less loud. The volume gets adjusted by tightening the velcro collar. It will not silence them 100%. You will still hear it, but not many people will recognize a rooster crow out of that muffled sound.
x2
This is what I found.
Our 1st roo- an EE - crowed all day. The collar didn't work unless really tight. It kind of made
the crow t higher pitched & longer lasting - so overall worse. When super tight, I was afraid of killing him.

Our 2nd roo - an Orpington - didn't crow as much. The collar made his crowing less frequent & less volume. Win/win.

For both, my neighbors knew about & didn't care that we had a roo. That's what really made the difference. The collar was to help with people passing by so they didn't recognize a crowing rooster.

That's funny.

When my orpington roo 1st started crowing, he sounded like the cartoon character Homer Simpson shouting "Wo HOOO!"

Did the person who started this thread ever post a video showing the tube sock on his rooster, how it was placed, etc? If so, can you share the link with me? I don't have time to go through all 22 pages...

Back
Top Bottom