Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Would it hurt to give my hen monistat even though I am not 100% sure it's sour crop?

My 2.5 year old hen is acting fine, eating, drinking and pooping normally but she is currently going through a molt so she is not laying for now. She poops fine overnight but I notice a small, soft crop in the morning. It's really not big, just a large grape kind of size, soft ball.
Could this be sour crop?? She has had this for a few weeks now.. I wasn't worried as she is acting perfectly fine but I wouldn't want it to get worse all of a sudden. So, I was wondering if could give monistat as a preventive mesure... what are your thoughts?

Would it hurt to give my hen monistat even though I am not 100% sure it's sour crop?

My 2.5 year old hen is acting fine, eating, drinking and pooping normally but she is currently going through a molt so she is not laying for now. She poops fine overnight but I notice a small, soft crop in the morning. It's really not big, just a large grape kind of size, soft ball.
Could this be sour crop?? She has had this for a few weeks now.. I wasn't worried as she is acting perfectly fine but I wouldn't want it to get worse all of a sudden. So, I was wondering if could give monistat as a preventive mesure... what are your thoughts?

Also, I just checked on her crop again and it is firm (just right) and full of crumbles after eating her pellets. It feels totally normal. I just don't know why there is this soft spot in the morning... if it were sour crop, wouldn't her crop feel enlarged and mushy during the day and not normal?

I was hoping someone would've replied to your post by now - I don't feel very qualified to say whether it would be a good idea to give your hen Monistat based on her symptoms. I guess I'd hold off, since she's acting healthy and the only thing you're seeing is a small, soft crop in the morning. My hen's crop was big and squishy. She totally recovered with 3x/day x 3 days. Sorry, I don't think I'm much help. Hope she's ok!

I was hoping someone would've replied to your post by now - I don't feel very qualified to say whether it would be a good idea to give your hen Monistat based on her symptoms. I guess I'd hold off, since she's acting healthy and the only thing you're seeing is a small, soft crop in the morning. My hen's crop was big and squishy. She totally recovered with 3x/day x 3 days. Sorry, I don't think I'm much help. Hope she's ok!

Thanks for your reply!
I'm thinking it might be side effects from the molt, but then again even before she started molting she has had this "abnormal" crop in the morning if I compare it to my other hens.
From your experience, when your hen had sour crop, was her poop normal? was she active? what exactly were her symptoms??
Apart from her small soft crop I'm not seeing other symptoms for now but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something, she's my sweet pet.

Yes, I know what you mean by your sweet pet :) I feel the same!
Our hen was very lethargic - that's what first caught our attention - she was moping around separate from the others. When we picked her up, we felt that big mushy crop. We brought her in the house & kept her in a cat kennel - her poop smelled bad & it didn't seem like there was much. She wasn't eating or drinking, so I gave her water with probiotics & yogurt (another suggestion in a post). It wasn't until the Monistat that her behavior change for the better & her appetite came back. She was ready to go back with her flock after the 3rd day of Monistat. You might mix some probiotics in the water, if you don't already. I bought ours at the feed store (labeled for chickens). She may be flirting with a sour crop & that would be a safe bet.
I hope she snaps out of it!

Thank you for this info! One of our chickens has a HUGE crop. I did the water/massage/hold upside down thing a few times and it smelled terribly. I imagine it is both impacted and sour now. Poor chicken. I will go get some monistat tomorrow.

Thanks!

I just had one of my girls exhibit signs of sour crop. It looked and felt like she had a water balloon in her crop. I did three things: 1) massaged her crop 1x per day for 3 days, 2) On the 2nd day, I turned her upside down and massaged her crop. 3) I added 1 tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar to each gallon of water.

By the 3rd day she was noticeably improved. I have kept with the apple cider vinegar in the water for all birds as I read that this is generally good for their overall health and would not harm them. I think I got good results because I was able to identify and treat early....thanks to this forum.

I have my husband hold her while I open her beak and pop it in. Then I massage her crop for a while.

Having lost a few chickens to sour crop, found another one with it yesterday, gave it apple cider vinegar and then went to Walmart in search of Monistat suppositories . Did exactly what the first post did years ago, cut up the suppository in third and dropped it down the crop. Just gave the third dose and the chicken is improved today, pecking and searching for food. Once again, Thanks to Backyard Chicken for helping me cure another one of my girls.

Back
Top Bottom