Sour Crop :( is she healing?

mb929

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2022
Hi all. I am a first time chicken keeper in my hens are about 7 months old. they have just started laying eggs. One of my hens is definitely dealing with sour crop. I have made sure it’s not an egg bound issue. She is drooling water, watery diarrhea, lethargic and soft squishy crop. We isolated her last night (withholding food and water) and have been massaging her crop. We would prefer not to make her throw up until last resort bc of aspiration risks. She has been pooping a lot which I’m hoping is a good sign? We checked on her first thing this morning and her crop has gone down a bit this morning but still a little squishy. She seems a little more perky too. Her poop from over night starting to look a bit more normal. We gave her a little water with ACV and I am going to start her on unsweetened Greek yogurt. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Here is a great article about diagnosing crop issues and treating sour crop. I’m sorry your hen is going through this. I hope she is on the up and up. We haven’t had to treat sour crop ourselves, but you are never alone here. Fingers crossed, let us know how she does.

Here is a great article about diagnosing crop issues and treating sour crop. I’m sorry your hen is going through this. I hope she is on the up and up. We haven’t had to treat sour crop ourselves, but you are never alone here. Fingers crossed, let us know how she does.
Thank you!! I will keep you updated!

Thank you!! I will keep you update@alin
@alinas2010 wanted to let you know Lucy is doing so much better! ♥️

Attachments

• 3BC229B5-13AE-4C05-B787-330F9E0FD190.jpeg
    3BC229B5-13AE-4C05-B787-330F9E0FD190.jpeg
    827.6 KB · Views: 10
So glad to hear! Thanks for the update! How did you end up treating her?
We’ll I hear different things so I’m sure some people on here would disagree 🤣 but i isolated her in a “chicken hospital” enclosure and took her off water and food for 12 hours. She still wasn’t eating after that anyway. We massaged her crop daily. We tried to make her vomit one time but it was really scary and we were terrified of making her aspirate so we didn’t do that anymore. We started giving her 5cc of Monistat a day and fed her scrambled eggs and yogurt (even thought she really wasn’t in to those.) we put probiotics in her water and ended up giving her and crumble feed which she ate up. We just gave her a bath and planning to put her back in the run on Friday morning :)

We’ll I hear different things so I’m sure some people on here would disagree 🤣 but i isolated her in a “chicken hospital” enclosure and took her off water and food for 12 hours. She still wasn’t eating after that anyway. We massaged her crop daily. We tried to make her vomit one time but it was really scary and we were terrified of making her aspirate so we didn’t do that anymore. We started giving her 5cc of Monistat a day and fed her scrambled eggs and yogurt (even thought she really wasn’t in to those.) we put probiotics in her water and ended up giving her and crumble feed which she ate up. We just gave her a bath and planning to put her back in the run on Friday morning :)
That’s wonderful! I’m so glad your treatment worked. I think you did a great job and Lucy is lucky to have you.

My chicken has same symptoms. She spews liquid if I massage in a downward motion. I’m doing water and ACV. She has no white in her mouth. Did yours? Did you automatically give her the Monistat? And how the heck did you get her to ingest it??
Thanks!

My chicken has same symptoms. She spews liquid if I massage in a downward motion. I’m doing water and ACV. She has no white in her mouth. Did yours? Did you automatically give her the Monistat? And how the heck did you get her to ingest it??
Thanks!
So sorry!!! We isolated her immediately and set her up in a little enclosure… We took away water for 12 hours and took away food for 24. She drank a lot of water but didn’t really want to eat for the first few days. We tried to make her vomit one time but freaked out cause we were terrified of accidentally making her aspirate so we didn’t do it again, but a good bit of liquid did come out. We started Monistat about 48 hours after her symptoms were noticed… But that’s only because it took us that long to decide to try it… when she was really sick and lethargic it was easy to have my husband hold her while I kind of opened her beak and shot the syringe of Monistat down her mouth… But as she started feeling better she got way more spunky and fought us because she did not want to eat it. thank goodness I figured out that she would still eat the treat grubs (from tractor supply) If I crush them up with a dose of Monistat… You could tell she still noticed it but she likes the grubs so much she was still willing to eat them 😂 if I had one that showed signs of sour crop again I would probably start immediately to start killing off the bacteria! But also I’ve heard differing opinions so I’m scared to tell you to do something with 100% confidence… but just in my case that worked for us! ♥️

So sorry!!! We isolated her immediately and set her up in a little enclosure… We took away water for 12 hours and took away food for 24. She drank a lot of water but didn’t really want to eat for the first few days. We tried to make her vomit one time but freaked out cause we were terrified of accidentally making her aspirate so we didn’t do it again, but a good bit of liquid did come out. We started Monistat about 48 hours after her symptoms were noticed… But that’s only because it took us that long to decide to try it… when she was really sick and lethargic it was easy to have my husband hold her while I kind of opened her beak and shot the syringe of Monistat down her mouth… But as she started feeling better she got way more spunky and fought us because she did not want to eat it. thank goodness I figured out that she would still eat the treat grubs (from tractor supply) If I crush them up with a dose of Monistat… You could tell she still noticed it but she likes the grubs so much she was still willing to eat them 😂 if I had one that showed signs of sour crop again I would probably start immediately to start killing off the bacteria! But also I’ve heard differing opinions so I’m scared to tell you to do something with 100% confidence… but just in my case that worked for us! ♥️
Thanks SO much!!! I will get Monistat tomorrow. It sounds just like my chicken. I have done the vomit thing, literally because it was all ready pouring out, so I held her as upside down as I could. So far, so good 😬

Back
Top Bottom