Sour crop? Miconazole and eggs.

Mandrogora

Songster
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
My salmon faverolle is one week shy of six months old. About 3 months ago she developed strong sour milk smelling breath. Suspecting sour crop I first tried acv and probiotics, which helped somewhat but not fully. I then used Miconazole (which she despised) for 4 days and it seemed to go away. Now the smell is back. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. She's eating and drinking normally. Is active and her crop feels like all the other chickens. One issue with her is that her beard is always wet and/or covered in dirt. The only time it's fluffy and clean is in the morning before she starts going about her chicken business. I did notice some watery poo on the roost the past two mornings. I'm not sure who it's coming from. They all had some vitamins and acv in their water before it started so it might be from that. Two of the them also started laying the day before yesterday. I know for certain one is the light brahma. I'm not sure who the other is. So I guess my questions are whether this sounds like sour crop? The smell is distinctly sour milk. If I treat her with miconazole again, for a longer period this time. Is it safe to eat the eggs if she is the one laying? Is it safe to eat them with sour crop? I suspect that their recent increase in treats, BOSS and scratch is what set it off again. I have stopped feeding treats, other than some scrambled eggs. They are also on a flock raiser at 20% protein, with grit and oyster shell on the side. I'm not sure this is the proper feed for them to be on now that they are starting to lay. Is there any thing else I can do to treat?
Thanks...
Also some pics of sassy girl, Zircon.

Attachments

• Zircon 2.JPG
    Zircon 2.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 62
  • zircon.JPG
    zircon.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 15
My salmon faverolle is one week shy of six months old. About 3 months ago she developed strong sour milk smelling breath. Suspecting sour crop I first tried acv and probiotics, which helped somewhat but not fully. I then used Miconazole (which she despised) for 4 days and it seemed to go away. Now the smell is back. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. She's eating and drinking normally. Is active and her crop feels like all the other chickens. One issue with her is that her beard is always wet and/or covered in dirt. The only time it's fluffy and clean is in the morning before she starts going about her chicken business. I did notice some watery poo on the roost the past two mornings. I'm not sure who it's coming from. They all had some vitamins and acv in their water before it started so it might be from that. Two of the them also started laying the day before yesterday. I know for certain one is the light brahma. I'm not sure who the other is. So I guess my questions are whether this sounds like sour crop? The smell is distinctly sour milk. If I treat her with miconazole again, for a longer period this time. Is it safe to eat the eggs if she is the one laying? Is it safe to eat them with sour crop? I suspect that their recent increase in treats, BOSS and scratch is what set it off again. I have stopped feeding treats, other than some scrambled eggs. They are also on a flock raiser at 20% protein, with grit and oyster shell on the side. I'm not sure this is the proper feed for them to be on now that they are starting to lay. Is there any thing else I can do to treat?
Thanks...
Also some pics of sassy girl, Zircon.

If you have all the same ages at 24 weeks and most laying would switch to 16 % layer feed with OS and poultry grit on the side free choice. At this age they really do not need the extra protein unless in a molt. They do need the higher calcium for laying. I would cut back on the treats. I do not give treats every day but can literally feed chickens to death with high protein feed and fatty treats. I treat couple of times throughout week. I used dried mealworms as good source of protein and greens from garden that I grew for the chickens. Couple tablespoons per day per bird is max. You can use kitchen scraps but make sure healthy for birds and all treats not more than 10% of diet.

While you have described a sour smell from her beak, does her crop feel puffy and full when she first wakes up in the morning before she has a chance to eat and drink? Sour crop is when the crop is not emptying overnight, and they are usually puffy like a balloon. Here is a good thread on how to tell whether you are dealing with a crop problem:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

used Miconazole (which she despised) for 4 days and it seemed to go away. Now the smell is back.

The only time it's fluffy and clean is in the morning before she starts going about her chicken business.
Is the smell there first thing in the morning? A crop should be check first thing before a chicken eats/drinks. If you are not noticing the sour smell in the mornings, then it could be her muff that stinks?

IF you do choose to use the Miconazole again, then use it for the full 7-10 days recommended in articles. Better yet, it is always best to go to the vet and get an anti-fungal like Nystatin, that way it is prescribed and you are sure of proper recommendations.

Her crop felt empty this morning. I gave her a good whiff and I could smell the sour but not as strong. Her muff really is gross though. I'm going to clean it up a bit today if she'll let me. I'll try some of the suggestions above and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom