Sour crop support needed

Same thing with my girl. She downed the yorgurt with a little mixed in crumble and then last night her crop was still squishy. Massaged and held upside down but only small amount of liquid came out. It is much, much smaller than it was Friday night. So I am going to try the wine too.

I would be cautious about adding in any crumble until they've been clear a couple days. I don't know why, but I had to very slowly add crumble back to the diet before the crop stayed small.

I am happy to report the bird in question is eating all crumble now very well, doesn't have a large or saggy crop, and is feeling well enough to start crowing. Everyone thought it was a hen- but those silkies
idunno.gif

I liked the Harrison's Recovery Formula so much I am going to keep it on hand from now on. It worked so well!

Here is a link to it http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Recovery-Formula/products/9/

I
have a friend that is the head tech for an exotics only clinic in AZ. The clinic she works at carries Harrison's and highly recommends it. The food worked well to help my bird recover- perhaps it is easier on the digestive system as well as being able to be tube fed.

upthecreek, you were right! I followed your instructions and gave my hen about 3cc of cheap wine. That was about 3 pm. At 7 pm, she began pooping! It looked as though it came out with a little force because there were droplets 2 feet away. I fed her some turkey rice baby food and some applesauce 2X before I turned out the light. This morning her crop appears empty! I am just thrilled! I'm surely going to keep this info ready in the event this occurs again. And, I'll have the wine on hand then, too! I'm interested in hearing what cnj experienced after give wine to her hen.

Meanwhile, ultrasol, I want to get some of the Harrison's food and have it on hand, too. I'm learning that you just never know when you may need something and when it's harder to get, there could be a problem. Question: I don't recall seeing how many ounces are in their packaging so I don't know how many to order. If you have a moment, would you mind giving a suggestion.

So, today I will keep feeding soft food, adding some bread/oil in later today. Tomorrow, I will keep her inside as well, slowly beginning to get her back up to speed. Depending on how she's doing, Friday is supposed to be really warm so I'd like to return her to her own home then. I would think she would be a "target" for the other two hens so maybe I'll have to remove them for a few hours while she gets her land legs back!

Thanks again, everyone. I'm really thrilled over this. These are my first hens, not that I will love any subsequent hens less, but you know what I mean. My farm memories from childhood did not include have chickens that were sick. Maybe I just didn't notice?!

Last edited:
I used red wine...the cheapest they had. It was $3.99. I put 4cc into the syringe, hoping to get at least 3 into her. This was at about 3 pm. She was not too pleased, as you can imagine! I waited until 7 pm to give her some food...gave the wine at 3 pm. I put 2 TBSP turkey/rice baby food and 2 TBSP applesauce into a bowl. She pecked every bite out. Then, at 8 and 9 pm, I gave her about the same amounts. Again, she ate it all. I would've gotten the food that ultrasol recommended but there isn't a pet store in the small town nearby. I plan to order some online just to have...hoping I'll never need it.
This morning, I gave her a little more of the two kinds of soft food plus about 1/3 slice of bread broken into tiny bites and topped with olive oil. Again, she has eaten it all. I will feed her small amounts during the day today of the same thing. Tomorrow, I think I will try to put just a small amount of the chick starter that I still have since it's very small granular. On Friday, I will try to add some soaked crumbles to see how she does. Hopefully, there will not be a relapse if I go slowly.

By the way, of course after she had eaten the soft food, I felt that squishy feeling again in her crop but then realized it was the soft food! By morning, she was flat as a pancake. You can imagine my excitement. Anyway, give it a try. I hope it will work for you, too.

My chicken liked a scrambled egg but it took a while for her to eat the yogurt. I also tried some garlic in the yogurt but she wouldn't touch that. Must've had a big date on the horizon! Anyway, you may want to give the wine a few hours to "work" before you try some soft food. I sure hope it works for you cnj. I'll be waiting to hear.

I did get the wine down her but it was not easy. She is very upset because she is so hungry and me not giving her anything!!!!! That was about 10:30 so I guess I should wait until 3 or 4 to ry to give her something to eat. I sure hope this works. She is getting thinniner by the day although she is still very active.

I know what you're sayin' about gettin' that wine down. I'm not a drinker and this stuff smelled awful. I'm sure hoping for a good result for you, too. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom