Sour crop

This hen has been laying soft eggs off and on for a while. She laid a soft one yesterday and frankly, she was struggling to get it out, although she did. She's also very thin. I do think her slow crop issue is probably a result of something bigger. She's been wormed and treated for cocci a month ago.

In @TwoCrows article she touches base that crop issues can be a symptom of an underlying condition like internal laying/reproductive disorders, cocci or worms (among other things). Since you have treated her for cocci and worms, she may be having reproductive problems (soft shell eggs).

Soft shell eggs can be very difficult to expel. There are many reasons for soft shelled eggs - defective shell gland, not enough calcium, vitamin/nutritional deficiencies, stress and history of illness (respiratory disease) are a few. Some hens as they get older don't process nutrients and/or absorb the calcium/nutrients like they should, even when being fed a proper balanced ration. You can try supplementing her calcium and vitamins further by offering poultry vitamins in her water a couple of times a week and giving extra calcium - crush a Tums and add it to her feed (I've found they take this readily sprinkled on hard boiled egg), you can also use liquid calcium which is found at the feed store (1cc daily - or follow the dosage label on the bottle) or give 1/2tab calcium carbonate (like Caltrate) daily until she starts laying hard shelled eggs.

I'm not a vet, nor an expert, but it seems that if there is inflammation/swelling of the oviduct (she's working hard to get that soft shelled egg out), this can essentially cause a partial "blockage" to the intestines - therefore, food and waste don't move through like it should - it's slowed, this in turn will eventually cause crop issues.

Keep us posted.

What does she eat?
Do you offer her chicken feed or does she only free range for food?
Does she get a side order of calcium (oyster shells)?
How old is she?
I feed her scratch and peck layer feed. I put clean, crushed eggshell in their feed and have a constant supply of oyster shell available. I have noticed that the more she free ranges the softer her eggs get, so I have been supplementing with 300mg calcium carbonate in some yogurt a few times a week. Looks like I may need to make this a daily deal.

She is a 1 1/2 year old black sex link.

I feed her scratch and peck layer feed. I put clean, crushed eggshell in their feed and have a constant supply of oyster shell available. I have noticed that the more she free ranges the softer her eggs get, so I have been supplementing with 300mg calcium carbonate in some yogurt a few times a week. Looks like I may need to make this a daily deal.

She is a 1 1/2 year old black sex link.
She is currently out free ranging with her pals because she was miserable in the hospital. She is acting very normal.

Glad to hear she is back with the flock - they can go down further being stuck in the hospital (just like us humans sometimes). I have one girl that struggles with her egg laying, I do catch her up for extra TLC, but leave her be for the most part (of course she's a favorite). She would go bonkers being confined, so as long as she remains fairly active, I just watch and wait.

Please do keep us posted, I hope she improves.

Great news...glad she is feeling better.
I'd do what Wyorp mentioned...
sneak her some extra TLC.

TOO much calcium is bad too.
Just saying...

So much to learn all the time huh.

I know! I just don't know what else to do though. Which is the lesser of two evils? I think I'd rather deal with the consequences of excess calcium than egg yolk peritonitis. I hope to find some sort of happy medium at some point in time.
Great news...glad she is feeling better.
I'd do what Wyorp mentioned...
sneak her some extra TLC.

TOO much calcium is bad too.
Just saying...

So much to learn all the time huh.

Back
Top Bottom