Sour crop?

PianoChickens

Chirping
May 7, 2023
Hi, I have a little hen who was showing some signs of lethargy and not really keeping up with her peers, three months old. I already once separated her and turned she had a full squishy crop in the morning. I gave her some water and olive oil and she moved on in life. Day before yesterday again she was not looking good. I separated her and checked in the morning, the crop was empty. I was happy, but she still looked a bit droopy so I kept her. This morning the crop is full again... What is going on? How can I help her? Should I feed her or not?

Just to be clear:
One morning bit ago - crop full
Yesterday morning - crop empty
This morning - crop full

What would you do?
She is very thin... so something seems to be going on. But I do not smell anything in her breath. The crop is just squishy and full and she is pooping.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Have you tried worming her? Valbazen or SafeGuard are good. It can be dangerous to give oil orally, but you can offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to offer, up to 1 tsp per day. That may help. What do her poops look like? Have you also considered coccidiosis, and maybe treating her with some Corid? Coccidiosis can cause lethargy, and other symptoms. Some chicks will have a slow to empty crop also. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide dosage by 1/4 for a quart waterer.

Have you tried worming her? Valbazen or SafeGuard are good. It can be dangerous to give oil orally, but you can offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to offer, up to 1 tsp per day. That may help. What do her poops look like? Have you also considered coccidiosis, and maybe treating her with some Corid? Coccidiosis can cause lethargy, and other symptoms. Some chicks will have a slow to empty crop also. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Divide dosage by 1/4 for a quart waterer.
Hi, thank you for taking interest.
I wormed them all about two weeks ago. They are on medicated feed, but I feel like coccidiosis is still a possibility. They also have access to outdoors and there are times they may have spent more time outside having fun than eating their proper food. Her poop is mostly solid, but kind of small and wet, but size of guinea pig droppings. They are mostly brown with some white, so I think good colour. Corid is not available to us in Hungary, but I plan to keep her in and encourage her to eat the proper feed with coccidiostat in it. Would the olive oil be for the worms or for symptom of the crop? I can take a picture of the droppings soon.

Thanks!

Could be anemia from worms and now an overload of dead worms.

Just a guess, since they were recently wormed. What did you use to worm them?

Are you supplementing wet soft food, scrambled eggs for increase protien, electrolytes and probiotics? That might help her.

Back
Top Bottom