Sour crop

isavedchickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Any tips for sour crop? Got a sick 2yr old ex-battery hen. Not eaten since Saturday, but still drinking. Emptied her last night and this morning double the amount came out :-/

I would add raw apple cider vinegar (the kind with mother in it) to the water and put her on a scrambled egg diet for a few days. Works for my girls every time.

Thank you, I have left some egg out for her and acv. She keeps bending down to peck it, then she just lifts her head up and does the same thing again. I would say she ate three pecks of egg and now she is sleeping again. Should I syringenfeed her some yoghurt?!

How is she doing? If natural remedies do not work (as in my hens case) I have been treating mine with Lotramin.

Hello there, thank you for your reply. She is doing better!! I massaged her crop quite a lot yesterday pm, and pushed some bubbly stuff up her neck, I'm not sure if she had a blockage or the massage helped or she just started feeling better on her own. After not eating for three days, she ate! I tried lots of different food but she kept bending down to peck it but didn't open her beak...then I tried grated apple and she went mad for it, she ate 1/2 grated apple. She wouldn't eat it of the plate, she ate it strewn about the grass. After she ate that she started walking around the garden and even took an interest in some mushy layers pellets. Today she seems to be feeling better, she is still a bit slow and sleepy but has eaten porridge, sweetcorn and more grated apple. She even ran over to see what food I put on the floor. My only issue now is that her face looks a little blue/pale in colour. It seems to be like that when she is stood still but when she is moving about she reds up, not sure if that is something to worry about.

Hello there, thank you for your reply. She is doing better!! I massaged her crop quite a lot yesterday pm, and pushed some bubbly stuff up her neck, I'm not sure if she had a blockage or the massage helped or she just started feeling better on her own. After not eating for three days, she ate! I tried lots of different food but she kept bending down to peck it but didn't open her beak...then I tried grated apple and she went mad for it, she ate 1/2 grated apple. She wouldn't eat it of the plate, she ate it strewn about the grass. After she ate that she started walking around the garden and even took an interest in some mushy layers pellets. Today she seems to be feeling better, she is still a bit slow and sleepy but has eaten porridge, sweetcorn and more grated apple. She even ran over to see what food I put on the floor. My only issue now is that her face looks a little blue/pale in colour. It seems to be like that when she is stood still but when she is moving about she reds up, not sure if that is something to worry about.

Was her crop hard?

My girl still always eats even though she had a giant crop! Silly girl. I wouldnt worry about the color loss though, maybe just keep an eye out on it. Remember she hasnt eaten for a few days so she is still recovering her nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom