Southern Indiana chicken and duck culling?!?!?

lol pulls off like a sweater, he said hes surprised he didnt have nightmares. These chickens were the first thing (other than fish we catch) that hes killed.; he was not a fan of murder lol

lau.gif
i have found i need to be in the right mood. when i get agravated is a good time.

DH is a farmboy - grew up raising and butchering chickens, steers, ducks and geese. I was a city girl. Yes, raised to hunt and clean wild game, but nothing I'd raised before. I have found that it's best if I don't name my food. Well, we did have a steer once, named Butch. My children (3 sons - ages 10, 8 and 5 at the time) named him. The reason? "Well, Mom, we're gonna butcher him anyway!" That animal thought he was a horse. Every single time we took the horses out, he go through the fence. Barbed wire, electric, electric barbed wire, he didn't care. So after we had him processed, my aunt asked me one day, "How can you stand to eat Butch?" I told her, "When I think of every fence that animal went through, he tastes better and better!" OK, so back to chickens. Being a city girl, I had the hardest time letting DH butcher my pretty chickens. I was fine with the big, ugly CXs, but not my spent layers or pretty roosters. But I have finally (after 31 years on the farm) just set my mind that we're going to raise and process our chickens. I want to hatch out replacement layers, some will be roosters and we'll butcher them no matter how pretty they are, because we do prefer our own farm-raised chickens. I don't like making a live chicken a dead chicken, but once the head has been removed, I'm fine. I just turn my head when he swings the hatchet.

i havent found any lungs yet. how important is it to remove them? my moms favorite part is the neck
I don't know what happens if you don't remove them, since we always do. When you reach all the way up into the cavity, the pink stuff you peel off the inside of the ribs are the lungs. I just get a finger under them and pull them out. I also try to get as much lung tissue as possible out from between the ribs. What I don't get cleaned out will come out when I rinse them.

My favorite part is on the back, there are two little pieces of meat (one on each side) that when you remove them, they leave a depression in the bone. Those are the best part of the chicken! Unfortunately, they are only small bite-sized.

ahh, thank you. i guess i have been removing them, just didnt know it.lol i know the piece you refer to. my mother always wants the neck and back and i couldnt understand why as theres no meat there. shes holding out on me.haha

Back
Top Bottom