Southern States VS. Tractor Supply Brand?

Cotrav5

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Any thoughts on Southern States vs Tractor Supply brand feed ? I have been using Tractor Supply for a couple of years and still need to supplement the calcium. I frequently get a soft egg shell. Can anyone offer some insight to getting harder shells? I think the girls are lacking calcium even though they have full-time access to crushed oyster shell and occassionally cheese.

Is there really a brand that can provide all the nutrients they need?

Has anyone tried the bag of Omega supplement at Tractor Supply?

Last edited:
Supplement with green leafy vegetables.

Nearest Southern States is 222 miles from my home so no opinion on their feed.

I have fed Circle R, Purina, Dumor and I supplement with oyster shell. And once in a while I still get a soft one, always have.

I used to use the Dumor but got some with mold in it once. I switched to Layena pellets and never had a problem. I've never had a soft egg no matter which feed I used. The reason for the mold was not necessary the feed but the way it is handled at the local TSC, it is unloaded form trucks out side even in the rain and the product gets wet. I switched to Bowmans feed and supply at the same time I switched feed.

Quote:
Do you buy Bowmans brand feed? I use Pennfields but have heard a few others locally say they use Bowmans. I'm just so frusterated with the Mill and Warners, They never have what i need in stock and take weeks to get it in. I waited almost a month for organic layer and am still waiting for waterfowl breeder, my geese have been eating the chicken feed, which is fine but i'd rather them have the waterfowl feed. Bowmans is a little further (warners is 1/2 mile. lol) but i just need a good feed from a reliable source(and if it's more reasonably priced thats even better!)

Is there really a brand that can provide all the nutrients they need?

The nutrients are all on the labels
It's not too hard to compare different brands

The name on the bag makes no real difference.
Only the ingredients matter​

Last edited:
Quote:
I use both SS & TSC. Never had an issue with soft shells. Didn't know that TSC unloads outside...good to know. What do you think of Bowmans? I haven't used them for anything. Been in a few times and thought they were kinda pricey. How do the prices compare with SS & TSC for layer feed?

I let my girls run free on the farm so most of the time I don't have to use that much feed. I'm only using a 50lb bag of layer crumbles & a 50lb bag scratch every 30-45 days so it really isn't costing me much anyway.

The Purina Omega 3 feed is just that. It is a 16% layer feed with added omega 3's so the hen's eggs have extra omega 3's when they are hatched. It does not provide any additional calcium for the hens. I work at TSC and also raise A LOT of different breeds of poultry and I have tried this feed and did not see any difference in my eggs. Personally I don't think it's worth the extra money you have to pay for a 40lb bag of feed. At our store it is 16.99 for a 40lb bag. SOOO not worth the extra money in my book.

I just bought some of the Omega 3 and it said that it was a "complete feed" with no need for additional oyster shell or grit. I did not however read the ingredients, just the claim on the shell and grit. I got it at TSC.

I have switched to Southern States feed and have seen increased laying and shinier feathers. Plus SS is much closer to my house. They also are slightly cheaper for me.

Back
Top Bottom