Special needs chicken

I think she is getting a bit spoiled. I'm sure she is eating her feed (it goes down over time) but she definitely prefers her blueberries. Eggs are just a smidgen more favorable to regular feed but if the piece is too big... her neck gets all wonky. Takes her a couple tries to straighten out and sometimes she won't and will just try pecking things upside down.

Here are some photos. Please don't mind the mess, she likes to be difficult and kick away the pee pads before making a mess. 🥲
20230116_163823.jpg
20230116_163759.jpg

There stuff is usually a lighter brown color. I feel like this is just from either the medicine or the fact I just started giving her copius amount of blue berries when that use to be a random treat.

I'm sure she is eating her feed (it goes down over time) but she definitely prefers her blueberries.
How often are you giving her blueberries? I would be careful giving her anything other than her pelleted feed and the vitamins with the egg. You want her to eat her pelleted feed to receive a nutritionally balanced diet and heal up.

Sorry, I tried posting the video I have of her. But still learning how to use this forum.
I don’t know about helping her dust bathe but we had a pullet who was a few weeks old and decided to fly out of the brooder. We found her in the garage with her neck like your hens. After 2-3 months her neck straightened out and now she’s a perfectly healthy layer. I know this doesn’t solve your problems right now but maybe she won’t have a bad neck her whole life.

Chickens can heal pretty well. The wound is fairly new too. Give her a few months, I bet she figures out how to dust bathe all on her own with the bum neck. Birds are very resilient with learning how to do when something is not right.

Aaron

Chickens can heal pretty well. The wound is fairly new too. Give her a few months, I bet she figures out how to dust bathe all on her own with the bum neck. Birds are very resilient with learning how to do when something is not right.

Aaron
Thank-you for your good vibes! She is cleaning herself for the most part, she needs help with the top of her head due to her sleeping with her head upside down, her feathers were a bit "green", I'm still giving her vitamins but she finished up her anti inflammation meds the other day. I've been giving her 5 or 6 blueberries a night (I filled them full of liquid medicine) now I've switched to 2 or 3 raspberries ripped up because a full raspberry makes her spazz.

I was trying mixing the layer pellets with other stuff for variety. But turns out just adding warm water is the best way to get her to eat her pellets. I noticed she is picking around her pellets and going for her scrambled egg only, which is no good. 😟

Back
Top Bottom