Special needs chickens contest

Pics
You guys and gals are something very special. I have great respect and admiration for everyone's heart, soul and dedication to their peeps! You folks ROCK!!!!!!!!
clap.gif

This is my "Twizzler" she is an 8 month old Blue Ameraucana, her back is severely twisted and kinked. Can't be seen in the photo but when looking down upon her her body is actually the shape of a V. She does not have any special needs to speak of, but she does get confused from time to time when the others take off too fast around her and she does need some guidance when it is time to go to bed, but she can roost and even lays an occassional egg. She waddles from side to side when she walks, but man-o-man watch out when she takes off running. She can clip along a pretty good pace and surprisingly enough she seems to have much better balance when she runs and plays vs when she walks. She is a very sweet girl. I love to watch her stand up to the rooster 'cause she isn't having any of his business...oh, nuh-uh!
lol.png

11170_twizzler.jpg

Last edited:
This is Bandit (short for One Eyed Bandit) she's 18 wks and hangs with the chickens. She is the only bird I have named thus far. I'm in hopes that the fact she is a female will make life easier for her this spring. I keep her beak trimmed, and she eats fine out of the feeder.
63508_030.jpg

63508_031.jpg

Thanks so much to everyone who posted! You guys are great for taking care of birds with differences that need a little extra TLC. IMO, all of you are winners for opening your hearts and minds to the potential that these special birds have. But, as a contest needs to have "winners," here are my picks:

1.) Redcatcher's Madagascar chick. This poor guy has had it rough from the very beginning and you have done so much more than most people (including myself I must say) probably would have been willing to do for him.

2.) Jak Rabbitry's Drumstick. To survive such an attack is a feat in and of itself, but to learn how to walk again on only one leg is amazing!

3.) emvickrey's George. Another chick who's had a rough start and a wonderful person willing to do what it takes to allow her to thrive.

I had thought about naming a few "honorable mentions," but then I'd have to list everyone else who participated in this contest! Great job everyone!

Congratulations to the winners! But I think everyone is a winner! 50,000 good karma points to everyone that cares for special needs animals. You are all fabulous people!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
smile.png

I have an ee girl with a crooked beak. I got them at about a week old and she was normal but as a pullet I went out one day and somehow she had developed a slightly crooked beak, then it just got worse and worse. She eats and drinks fine and she has the most personality out of all of our EEs she is amazing! Her name is Amelia and when I bring the feed bucket and open the coop sometimes she jumps into the bucket or out of the coop eager to eat she is such a trip!

Kudos to the winners and most especially to the man with the madagascar. Amazing how much you have done, even though the competition is over I would love to see updated pics!

Here is my Turtle. I let my oldest niece choose her from a Bantam Assortment at Southern States. She was probably a little over a week old then and after a couple days I realized she had bent toes. Begin a novice, I felt that trying to correct her toes may only make them worse. As they were hard and I was told this was something that needed to be done promptly after hatching. She does everything just fine, even perches well so they don't hinder her. She is also my fastest runner and very fussy.
Here she is when she came home.

72129_150086_1651288678721_1132125671_1716970_4231826_n.jpg

And here is Turtle before bath time at about 7 weeks old.

72129_163127_1690839787474_1132125671_1787305_1922076_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom