Special Treats!!

My girls are 20 weeks old and they go crazy for the stems from mushrooms. I also give them squash and extras from my garden. They go wild when they see me coming with the food bag.
Mushrooms from grass or store bought? I have alot of mushrooms from the grass as I put down new sod and overwater it. I just pick them and threw them away not thinking that maybe the chickens would eat them.

I don't know enough about mushrooms to give them to the chickens, I saw a huge one under a bush when I was mowing the grass yesterday, but I have no clue if it would be safe for them.

We give our girls frozen corn that we heat up a bit in the microwave. Our Black Australorp, Melody, loves it.
smile.png
D.gif

My chickens always get our watermelon and cantaloupe rinds, and they actually eat through the rinds! There are always holes in them! They also really like seeds from cantaloupes and bell peppers.

I don't know enough about mushrooms to give them to the chickens, I saw a huge one under a bush when I was mowing the grass yesterday, but I have no clue if it would be safe for them.

I've wondered the same thing. We have little ones that grow all over our lawn in the spring. My chickens go crazy for them, and I usually let them eat it, but I still worry a little. I have never noticed any problems after they've eaten them though.

Back
Top Bottom