• too early to tell

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

nflchickengirl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everyone!

So I have two speckled Sussex that are just shy of 12 weeks old (on the 25th) and I know they are difficult to sex until later on, but one of them has had me raising my eyebrow since the beginning. 1) grew big... really fast
2) the tail feathers are very very different than my other Sussex, with the top two back feathers are both curving and black/greenish. (tried to get photo but couldn't!)
3) getting has more red on its face compared to my other but the comb isn't very old
I understand that speckled Sussex's are hard to sex until they are pretty much crowing or laying..... BUT

I was wondering if anyone who has SS's has any pictures of their young Sussex's(who are now older lol) that turned out to be Roos that they would be kind enough to post so I can compare to Rocky :) Particularly looking for 9 weeks -15 week old pictures.

Here is Rocky at 9.5 weeks old (2 weeks ago).. I tried to get new pictures yesterday and between the mosquitos and a surprise rain shower...it was an epic fail.
Either way, Roo or hen, Rocky is a sweetie and we aren't concerned about "she " possibly being a "he", its just Rocky and Jewel developed so differently despite being the same age..we are dying of curiosity! I'll attach photos of Jewel in the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.JPG
    IMG_2569.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    834.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 11
Jewel:
1) smaller than rocky
2) different tail
3) hardly any red/combface compared to Rocky.

9.5 weeks here as well. ill attempt a picture update later after the storms pass.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2585.JPG
    IMG_2585.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 11
Nflchickengirl, I just posted a timeline of my Speckled earlier today titled something like 'sexing Speckled Sussex (1st time chicken mom's observations). I put a bunch of pics in. I had mine DNA tested (a blood test) because I thought it was a rooster since she jumped out of the shipping box on day 1. I was heart broken as I was really attached to her, so I wanted to know earlier than later so I could find him/her a good home.
If you read my post (I tried to make it fun) you'll see the big comb, and in the comment, I am still getting opinions that she's a he. I have tons of other pics if you want more comparisons for yours.

Back
Top Bottom