I was able to get a couple pictures in the daylight. I hope that helps. She is squating down in a submissive position. 20230315_115353.jpg 20230315_115325.jpg

how old would you suspect she is?
I don’t doubt she is a year old, it’s just they get white as they get older meaning she will become even more white. That’s okay though, you can improve the mottling in future generations. My mother did that with her Ancona project.

Hello! and I hope you follow along and enjoy this breeding plan.

PLEASE OFFER SUGGESTIONS AND CRITICISM WHERE NEEDED! Don't worry about pulling punches, I'm a grown man, I can take it.

To start I am going to say I first saw the Speckled Sussex chicken when I was 14 years old (I am now 42) and have since that day wanted to raise some. Somehow every time I was about to get one something would happen that would make it impossible for me to get it. They were always more of a unicorn than a chicken to me, beautiful to look at but impossible to catch. Until tonight.

A wonderful couple in Southeast Ohio had an amazing male and female pair and after about 6 hours of haggling, was willing to trade them to me plus a really nice Buff Orpington Hen for 2 Sapphire Gem Pullets and 2 Light Brahma Pullets for his breeding project. (He has the largest Light Brahma rooster I have ever seen, I believe they are wanting to breed some super-giant brahmas! 1 of the pullets I traded him is 6 months old and already was pushing 7 pounds, she will be massive as well. Good match.)

Please take time to look at the pictures, I will post better ones tomorrow I got them home late, and tell me what you think.

Rooster (Name - Champ) - 2 Years Old
1st - We had a vicious winter this year as everyone knows, and the Rooster suffered frostbite on his comb. Instead of letting it stay with the damage it could cause him, they chose to remove the narcotic tissue. So now his comb looks very NON-SOP - He can never be showed now but that is okay, he is going to be used as the breeding rooster in my project.
2nd - He doesn't appear to have a lot of white speckles on him from the angle of the original pictures but his chest does have a lot. Better pictures to come.

The Hen (Name - Rose) - 1 Year Old
Please look her over and tell me what you think. What traits should I try and emphasize and do you notice any problem areas.

IF ANYONE HAS THE S.O.P. FOR SPECKLED SUSSEX PLEASE SEND IT TO ME. I have looked and can't seem to find it.

View attachment 3432156View attachment 3432157
Following. I just got bantam Speckled Sussex chicks and am interested in learning more about the breed.
:pop

Following. I just got bantam Speckled Sussex chicks and am interested in learning more about the breed.
:pop
I'm glad you are along for the journey! I have only had this breed for 24 hours now and am already in love with them. Got the rooster and hen home last night, and got an egg from her this afternoon. I think she will be my favorite chicken! Unfortunately, she free ranged with a Light Brahma, Buckeye, and a different Speckled Sussex rooster on her old farm so there is no way of knowing what rooster mated with her. I will have a month worth of eggs to eat before I am comfortable comfortable putting anything in the incubator from my rooster. I did catch him breeding with her today!

I dont believe mottling inproves with age I have one that has terrible mottling and its still terrible 3 years later it never changed heres both of mine when my one was molting the one on the left has always had worse mottling she barely has any View attachment 3433826
A better pic of the sec on

I dont believe mottling inproves with age I have one that has terrible mottling and its still terrible 3 years later it never changed heres both of mine when my one was molting the one on the left has always had worse mottling she barely has any View attachment 3433826
A better pic of the sec one View attachment 3433832
Do you know if or how chick coloring corresponds to adult plumage?

I have one chick that's very yellow:
1000007668.jpg

A better pic of the sec one View attachment 3433832
Oh that's different than what I have been told. I was told they get more white with each molt but I haven't seen it myself. The one in the bottom picture is beautiful looking BTW! Exactly what I think when I imagine a Speckled Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom