Spirit - the amazing grey dewlap toulouse gander!

Oh, no, I was wondering
smile.png
But it sure does help distinguish them
cool.png

Thanks guys!! The two ganders with orange/black beaks are (best guess) about 14 years old. The rest are 2012 babies.... ranging from late February to late June. Brown africans should have solid black beaks. My teenage ganders are toulouse/african crosses, so they have the combo colored beaks. I also have a couple of brown/white african crosses that have orange mixed into their black beaks, as white africans have orange beaks.

Ask and ye shall receive....... new pics of Spirit! I sat down about 10 feet from him to take pics, when he decided he wanted to come sit in my lap... so you can see him hopping/limping to me and then happily chilling in my lap.

By the way, note the dinks in his beak in the last pic? Caught him fence-fighting yesterday... he thinks he is so tough!

Thanks guys!! The two ganders with orange/black beaks are (best guess) about 14 years old. The rest are 2012 babies.... ranging from late February to late June. Brown africans should have solid black beaks. My teenage ganders are toulouse/african crosses, so they have the combo colored beaks. I also have a couple of brown/white african crosses that have orange mixed into their black beaks, as white africans have orange beaks.

Ask and ye shall receive....... new pics of Spirit! I sat down about 10 feet from him to take pics, when he decided he wanted to come sit in my lap... so you can see him hopping/limping to me and then happily chilling in my lap.

By the way, note the dinks in his beak in the last pic? Caught him fence-fighting yesterday... he thinks he is so tough!
How sweet he looks so content. I know fence fighting, boy they do a number to their wing knobs too. or what ever you call them things. J are your mixed geese some of the ones you brought back from Ca. ?Their all so pretty. I myself don't mind mixed breeds they can be some very pretty geese.

Thanks! He is a major lap baby.
love.gif

My toulouse/african ganders came with my property. They belonged to the former owner (wife), who passed away in 2000. The husband cared for them until he passed in 2009. Then, the owner's kids and neighbors took care of them until we moved here in August, 2011. In February, I hatched 4 purebred africans to give to the ganders... 3 hatchery browns and 1 nice quality brown/white. Then, we kept 6 rescues... 3 whites, 2 browns, and 1 brown/white. The rescue geese are all nice quality purebred africans.

love.gif

My toulouse/african ganders came with my property. They belonged to the former owner (wife), who passed away in 2000. The husband cared for them until he passed in 2009. Then, the owner's kids and neighbors took care of them until we moved here in August, 2011. In February, I hatched 4 purebred africans to give to the ganders... 3 hatchery browns and 1 nice quality brown/white. Then, we kept 6 rescues... 3 whites, 2 browns, and 1 brown/white. The rescue geese are all nice quality purebred africans.

They sure make for a good looking group (and christmas card photos!!) I kinda wish my geese were lap babies
hmm.png

love.gif

I didn't know the ones that came with the property were your mixes. Did you know geese before buying your property? I remember when you first came to BYC asking about their sexes.

Thanks, Bhonkers!
big_smile.png

Lydia, In 2006, I had a chicken show up in my barn one day. When I couldn't find anyone who owned it, I fed it. She liked hanging out with my horses and she was cool to be around. Then, a couple of months later I went out to do morning feeding and there was a pile of feathers where she should have been. That's my only poultry/avian experience before moving here.

Back
Top Bottom