Spitzhaubens

You can start with Cackle, Greenfire, Sea Breeze Hens(is in San Leon TX)and facebook. They are not in the APA yet but the more people get into them and breed them to SOP the better the chance of getting them into the APA.

I'll see if I can find the SOP for them and some other info for breeders in TX. I hope to be one of those soon with the Chamois color.
Thank you so much! I have never shown chickens, maybe not being able to show them is a good thing. I showed dogs years ago and have multiple obedience titles. I figured I could learn.
This would give me the opportunity to learn until they get in the APA.

Hi to the Spitz community!
I am going to add to my group of ladies. I have looked at turkeys, not sure they are for me. Looked at guineas, still not sure. I was looking through the forums and saw ‘Spitz’. I had to know what that meant :)
I am fascinated with them, plus I saw that they can handle the weather in TX. @NagemTX isn’t far from me.
I looked at them on Greenfire. I’m thinking about my grandsons showing them.
Would that be a good place to buy show quality?
The pictures @Faraday40 posts convinced me that this breed is perfect for the boys!
I think Spitzhaubens will do just fine in TX. Mine were fine in all the triple digit temps we’ve had, and they were fine in the polar vortex with negative double digit temps.
My originals came from Cackle Hatchery. We live close enuf that we drove there to pick them up. We are on our 3rd generation now. IMG_0521.jpeg

There is a club for them. Most of the members are in Texas. Its ASCA. The breed standard is on the site as well. Henry Allen and Carla Allen have a video on YouTube for education on the breed. Hope all of this helps.
Oh yes! I am going to watch the video. You mentioned looking on fb, I didn’t think of that.
You also mentioned that you might have a color soon. I’m sorry I don’t remember. How many generations have you been breeding for that?
I have time on my hands, and doing something like that would be fascinating. I understand a person needs to breed to SOP first, color second. I am (trying not to) getting excited!

I think Spitzhaubens will do just fine in TX. Mine were fine in all the triple digit temps we’ve had, and they were fine in the polar vortex with negative double digit temps.
My originals came from Cackle Hatchery. We live close enuf that we drove there to pick them up. We are on our 3rd generation now. View attachment 3629509
I see that you are an enabler, more power to you 😁 Thank you for the information.

Our son brought our 2 spoiled Spitzhaubens to the county poultry show. DS told the judge all about the breed and the many tricks his hen could do. He should not have mentioned that they are not an APA breed YET. He explained that they are rare in the US but are recognized in Europe. The judge said that she absolutely enjoyed DS's hen and wanted to give our hen the class championship BUT since Spitzhaubens not an APA breed, she could only award a blue ribbon. The classes were done incorrectly and grouped by gender and weight. An "Americana" (technically an Easter Egger) won medium weight hen class champ instead of our Spitzhauben. There were definitely issues because hatchery ISA Browns, Cinnamon Queens, Cherry Eggers, etc. were all over the place.

* However, our golden spitz won class champ pullet ..... so obviously the judge forgot about what she had said earlier about the APA book.

Can't really complain because
1. It's hard to be a judge
2. She was a volunteer and tried to take time to talk to each kid. She did very well with this.
3. My kids won several class champions and multiple grand champions in the poultry barn..... Including Jr showmanship champion (son) and senior showmanship - reserve champ (daughter) They both walked away with multiple trophies

Oh yes! I am going to watch the video. You mentioned looking on fb, I didn’t think of that.
You also mentioned that you might have a color soon. I’m sorry I don’t remember. How many generations have you been breeding for that?
I have time on my hands, and doing something like that would be fascinating. I understand a person needs to breed to SOP first, color second. I am (trying not to) getting excited!
I'm just getting started breeding. Chamois is the color I'm going to be breeding to SOP and I got them from Cackle. I have actually gotten all my chickens from Cackle. :D

They can't win Grand Champion at APA shows but they can win in their category. I am unsure of the category tho. At a non-APA they can take Grand. Non-APA shows are not sanctioned and there for award no points in the club. It does working something like dog shows where dogs win in breed then group then go for winning the whole show. They rack up points for the breeder/shower and you win other titles on how many points you get. Once they start working on getting the Spitz in APA they will need a spcific number of people showing to get them recognized.

Back
Top Bottom