Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Pics
Here's a pic of a couple of my 6 week old chicks. A blue silkie and a cuckoo marans. I feel bad for my little silkie, I did not expect her to be so much smaller than my other birds, I don't think I got a bantam. Anyhow, poor buddy had pasty butt right from the store and was a bit lethargic at first. One of my cuckoos will cuddle but the rest pretty much ignore or step on her. I don't see the other birds grooming her, and the feathers on her head and neck are quite spiky. Is that normal for this age? I'll try to get a better picture this evening.

All US slkies are bantams. Yes, the spikey crest is pretty age-appropriate

THank goodnes I didn't guarantee!
LOL! You are too smart to put a gender guarantee on a silkie.
wink.png

I've heard it costs about $3,000 to get trained in sexing day old chicks. That might actually be worth my time and money to learn that trade if it would work on silkies. Is it more difficult to sex bantams than LF chicks?

Quote: I will happily guarantee if I know it has laid an egg, and/or I know it fathered chicklets. Crowing is not real proof. A few years back I had a pullet inside for several weeks recovering from heat stroke. Only chicken inside. Eggs in her cage, and occasional crowing from the cage; more eggs than crowing, but still...yes, she was a girl. Likewise, I had a ton of folks telling me Gage was a hen. Only bird in the pen that wasn't laying, he crowed regularly, just not a lot or loudly, and if a hen started fussing, he rushed over to protect her. Once he started to attack me when I startled one of his hens--then did a double take and backed off when he recognized me, and glared at his hen as if to say "Don't cry wolf!" I got chicklets from his hens' eggs.

Here is a couple pics of my 5 month old splash rooster Joey still cant decide if I want to make a seperate b/b/s pen but is is so cute and friendly I

cant give him up yet!

Back
Top Bottom