Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Pics
The last of the incubator chicks hatched today. That's 7. I got home from work and went to check on the last 4. #7 had piped at the wrong end, but got all the shell off. Its beak was out and it was pitching a fit. I moved the other 3 fluffies to brooder. The membrane was starting to dry. All the veins were dry and yolk adsorbed. I left it in the incubator and it was doing fine up walking on wobbly legs.

Last edited:
Is there some way to tell for sure that a Silkie is just white and not a Blue? I have an 11 week old Silkie and it was supposed to be blue. It looks as white as my 5 month old Silkie and is developing blue ear lobes but where Sam (5mo) has a dark berry colored comb and wattles the little one has a black comb and no wattles but I think it might be a girl.

Is there a way to tell an 8 week old and an 11 week olds sex? I have the one 11 week old and several 8 week olds.

Sam will fight and pick a fight with known roosters so I am pretty sure he is a rooster. He also tries to mount the girls, if he can catch them and I was told he was a boy when I got him at 4 mos old.

Pictures.
Is there some way to tell for sure that a Silkie is just white and not a Blue? I have an 11 week old Silkie and it was supposed to be blue. It looks as white as my 5 month old Silkie and is developing blue ear lobes but where Sam (5mo) has a dark berry colored comb and wattles the little one has a black comb and no wattles but I think it might be a girl.

Is there a way to tell an 8 week old and an 11 week olds sex? I have the one 11 week old and several 8 week olds.

Sam will fight and pick a fight with known roosters so I am pretty sure he is a rooster. He also tries to mount the girls, if he can catch them and I was told he was a boy when I got him at 4 mos old.

Babies first trip outside yesterday

this is Monday, he's 12 days old. light blue

This is Saturday, he is 2 weeks old blue

This is Sunday he is 13 days old. light splash (almost white based like dad)

This is Thursday, he is 9 days old. the darkest of the blues the only non vaulted.
I am referring to them all as he, so I can be nicely surprised later. I think their mom is my light blue hen as they are all super light. I am going to look for some really dark blue/splash or blacks to add to the pen next year.

CUTE! But they all look splash to me, maybe its just the pic
smile.png
its really hard to get a good picture of them. but I won't be sad if they do end up a dark splash

the lighter hen in the front is the mama

Daddy is the Really light splash in the front. I am hoping to get some to hatch out of the dark blue girl in the back

Last edited:
artistazalea- no, splash coloring does not necessarily mean small crests. One of my splash hens has a more round, modest crest, but its still impressive. The other has a very large bonnet crest. There are pictures of both of them somewhere earlier in this thread. Crest size depends on quality, no matter the color. I've seen whites, blacks and birds of all other colors with some pretty pitiful looking crests!

How can I tell Sex of my two NON Related 6 month old Buff Silkie .
idunno.gif

only difference I've noticed, this ones Poofer

This one wing tip are not as Fluffy

Side by side view......

5 or 6 Month Old Standard Buff Silkies

Japanese Buff Barnyard Mix Roo in Background

Back
Top Bottom