Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Pics
I was hoping to get a bunch of splash and light blues on my last hatch. I got 4 splash chicks and a very light blue!
wee.gif
I'm so excited to see them develop!

Here's some pics of the babies at 3 weeks old....just starting to get their splash coloring in. They started out white. The light blue and the splash are almost the same color now:

There is a "partridge" in the mix too, but it is turning more gray.

do you have new pics to share?

Here's a pic of a couple of my 6 week old chicks. A blue silkie and a cuckoo marans. I feel bad for my little silkie, I did not expect her to be so much smaller than my other birds, I don't think I got a bantam. Anyhow, poor buddy had pasty butt right from the store and was a bit lethargic at first. One of my cuckoos will cuddle but the rest pretty much ignore or step on her. I don't see the other birds grooming her, and the feathers on her head and neck are quite spiky. Is that normal for this age? I'll try to get a better picture this evening.

Yes, this is the "uglies" stage for Silkies! Feathers and pin feathers go all hey-wire.
Here's a pic of my favorite little guy, Spiker.

He's the only Silkie I've named so far, and the only one I'm 99% sure is a roo.

I love all of my chickens, but my splash (and my one blue) Silkies are so dear to me. I just moved 4 two week old Lavender Orpington chicks in with my older Silkie chicks and they took it completely in stride! Not so much as a squabble. Such good little chickies :)

Oh that's a relief. My other birds had their ugly stage 2 weeks ago so I was concerned. I wonder if she may be younger than the others? Actually last night she looked better, spiky mohawk but much less pins. I can't believe how much they grow from the time I go to work to the time I come home! ;)

Yes, this is the "uglies" stage for Silkies! Feathers and pin feathers go all hey-wire.
Here's a pic of my favorite little guy, Spiker.

He's the only Silkie I've named so far, and the only one I'm 99% sure is a roo.
Mine are finishing up their "grow-out" stage right now too. They are 6 weeks old. They're a mixture of pin feathers and fluff! I've got a few that have earned the name "Mohawk", "Fluffy" and "Puffy". Then, one of my splash chicks has such good contrast b/n the white and dk grey 'splashes', that it's usually called "Spotty/Dotty". It almost looks like a paint silkie. Wouldn't it be nice if we knew if they were boys or girls before 5 months of age!
barnie.gif
I had some white silkies that we named "Pearl" and "Opal" who unfortunately turned out to be roosters.
sad.png

Fancy Feathers, Spiker is a cute and appropriate name...Just curious, how can you be 99% sure it's a rooster already?
hu.gif

This, I think is Mohawk.

I've got a couple of those that look like spotty-dotty. I think they're absolutely beautiful. Spiker is still pretty much all white but he's starting to get blue on his crest.
I think he's a roo because he actually has a little bit of a comb at this young age.

One of my young Paint chicks has a tiny bit of a comb, too, although not this much.. so it'll be interesting to wait and see if these 2 do turn out to be boys.

Does anyone know the proper "color" of this 3 month old silkie? It is Mohawk who I posted a picture of a few posts back.

Is he/she a blue, splash or a blue-splash? He/she is light grey with darker splashes.

Someone asked if I had any updated photos of my splashes....2 months ago! Here is Spotty Dotty, whom has the best contrast in feathering but genetically inherited a single comb from a cochin ancestor a few generations back. I would keep Spotty if he was a pullet as the single comb is recessive if combined with a good pea combed roo. But, I'm 99% sure Spotty is a cockerel seeing how he fights with one other silkie cockerel. Spotty is never aggressive with the pullets. He will make a handsome and sweet pet.

I would call Mohawk a splash.
Spotty is unique! He's going to make a very pretty pet :)

Here's a pic I took yesterday of one of my chicks

Back
Top Bottom