Splayed Leg Chicks

TDCLARK9

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
I Have Just Hatched Some Chicks And I've Got One That Is Splayed Legged And Two That Have Just One Leg Sticking Straight Out. Can Anyone Tell Me How To Help Them Out.
Dale

Hi,
You'll find lots of posts on this and pictures on the net.
Basically get your chicks onto a rough surface so they can grip.
Get a normal finger band aid (plaster). Wind one sticky end to one leg, place pad between the legs,gently pull the other leg round to apply the other sticky piece to the other leg. The chick will immediately be in a better position and will generally hop around. Leave the band aid on for 4-5 days (replace if it drops off and the chick is not upright). At the end of this time the chick will almost certainly be cured.
I have successfully carried this out on chicks as have many others on this site,
Sandie

Last week I had a chick hatch with one leg sticking straight out and the other tucked up. The chick could put the leg down but couldn't keep it down. I searched for answers on the site and found one post with a link that said to massage the leg at least six times a day for 30 seconds to 2 minutes each time. Since I was at work I got my daughter to separate him in the brooder with a cardboard wall and then do what the link suggested. When I got home from work the chick was much, much better and by the next day was perfectly fine, running around playing with the others.

Most people told me to kill it, so I suggest at least try this method before you make that decision. It really took very little effort.

Back
Top Bottom