Splayed Legs or Slipped Tendon - wild chick

afox

Hatching
Apr 2, 2024
I live in Barbados where there are lots of wild chickens. I found a tiny chick on my driveway which had been left by the flock as it couldnt walk. It was waddling on it's hocks, which are red/sore with a cut on.

I currently have it on a chick chair (for approx 12 hours) which seems to be straightening the legs slightly but it still cannot stand up.

I havent been able to source any chick starter here but have been feeding it tomatoes and boiled egg. I fear it may be a lost cause but I want to do my best for it - any advice most welcome!

Hi. Thanks for rescuing that little chick. Since you said the chick chair you're doing is helping straighten its legs, then I'd keep doing that. If you have any vitamin B-complex pills, or can get some, I'd crush one up and mix 1/8 of one in whatever you're feeding it. That helps bones and muscles.

Until you can get some chick starter, you could also feed it cooked rice, cooked oatmeal, and cooked potatoes.

Welcome to BYC by the way! :frow

Came back to add a link to an article that may help to. Another way of dealing with a slipped tendon if that's what it is.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Back
Top Bottom