Spotted near quail coop- photo

USAmma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I finally captured a picture of him. I have all female Conturnix quails, and I live in the suburbs. In 15 years of living here, I have never seen a wild quail. And now I have seen this guy twice. I wonder where he lives and how he got so far into the surburbs?

Looks like a gambel quail.Maybe someone near you lost it.Unless you live in Az.or Tx,and I'm sure there are a few more states that have them in the wild.
In N.H.,Tony.

Looks like a gambel quail.Maybe someone near you lost it.Unless you live in Az.or Tx,and I'm sure there are a few more states that have them in the wild.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm in AZ and they are illegal to own here. You are right it's a Gambels quail. It had the distinctive chest markings. I have seen them in the desert but never this deep in the city and suburbs.

Last edited:
I'm in AZ and they are illegal to own here. You are right it's a Gambels quail. It had the distinctive chest markings. I have seen them in the desert but never this deep in the city and suburbs.

They are not illegal to own here, you just have to apply and pay $5 for a permit to have one. There are plenty all over the valley especially if you are near open spaces that have few predators and have a bit of cover. I've seen them at golf courses, along canals, some city parks, and certain neighborhoods. LadyKotaDoria even has a wild female Gambels on eggs in a crate on her patio https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/lightbox/post/13465347/id/6341237

I bet that male was attracted by they females and the food!

Last edited:
Oh okay I didn't know you could own them. I thought they were considered wild animals.

Yeah he was definitely attracted by the ladies. ;-)

I wonder if he has a lady of his own somewhere nearby. This is their breeding season so they could have eggs stashed close to the food source.

I wonder if he has a lady of his own somewhere nearby. This is their breeding season so they could have eggs stashed close to the food source.

Hmm I will have to keep and eye out and see if any more show up. The next door neighbors know I have quail and they thought it was one of mine. I was like, no, mine are not that pretty and they are all shut up in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom