Spray Foam???

emilyweck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
Has anyone used this on their coop for those small areas that aren't easily covered? If so, do you think this would work for the little openings between my corrugated metal roof and the 2 X 4 it is attached to? I have a small gap between roof and the wood it is screwed into. I was going to put a small piece of welded wire in the hole and spray foam over it. Will raccoons generally ignore it if they can't see through that area into the coop? Thanks for any help!

I seal all small cracks in the coop with spray foam. so far the chickens have left it alone.. I even filled the cracked concrete floor with foam.. rats were using the crack like a federal highway.. it has been over 2 years and all is well..

.......jiminwisc...........

this is one reason that I hesitate to reply to posts. read on and you will see what I mean..
I only stated what I did and it worked for me.. I did not put any of my chickens lives in jeoprody.
fact is, the rats quit coming.. I would say that I might have saved a few lives..

Disclaimer: do not do as I did.. how's that?

Last edited:
i NEVER use spray foam to keep rodents out by itselft. rats/mice/and similar actually will use it for nesting material. when i use it it's strictly to keep drafts and or some insects out. if it's a rodent problem I first install hardware cloth and then will spray over it. it really poses no barrier to much at all. i would not bet my chicks life on it

I haven't used it for a coop, but use it for insulating purposes. About a month ago, a family of rats tried to make move into my home without paying rent. So, I sealed up all areas with the spray foam and the rats disappeared.

Suzy

smack.gif

make sure you get the right kind of spray foam, I just got some for the same thing, and made sure I asked the guy at walmart. my DH was worried I would get the kind that expanded so much it would take the roof off!!
the kind I got is called
Great Stuff insulating foam sealant
Gaps and Cracks
in a red can with yellow top made by Dow. I got it at walmart for about 5 bucks. the man there also said to wear gloves cause it never comes off your hands!!!

I bought the same one and it expanded a lot because I should have read the directions first! A winter coat was ruined because I brushed against the foam.

Suzy

My chickens immediately upon re-entering the coop after having filled the cracks... I figured if they didn't see me put it in that they would pay it NO mind..... began to JUMP as high as they could get to reach it and try and EAT it! One got a mouthful of still tacky foam and I had to chase him down and pull it off his beak... no fatalities and it did eventually cure and now they do pay it no mind..... just make sure you don;t let them near any they can reach until it is hardened
wink.png

I used left over fiberglass insulation covered by spray foam to keep rats/mice out of the walls of my house. They got in through the opening where the water pipes come in through the sub-floor.

It did, however, trap the pests inside, which subsequnetly died and were really stinky for a while, but we haven't had an repeat incidents. That was 2 years ago.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom