Pics

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
I am working on my first coop, the brooder will be in the coop and I am using the Mama Heating Pad. I am getting 7 chicks the first week of April 2017. I was hoping to get a few of us newbies together who are gearing up for our first time this spring! Lets post pictures of our coops, our birds when we get them and see who gets the first egg!

Who is in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here:)

This sounds like fun. I will be getting my first flock the 2nd week of April. I will be starting with 4 chicks.
Yay!
celebrate.gif
Are you getting hatchery chicks?
I am getting mine from Meyer hatchery, I keep changing my order... lol its so hard to choose.
hu.gif

I am getting a Golden Laced Wyandotte, 2 golden buffs (sex links) 1 Blue Americauna, a Barred Rock an Easter Egger and a Meyers Meal maker. I keep changing my order though
hu.gif

I am thinking about trading the sex links for a couple of brown leghorns so I have some white eggs in the mix. We shall see what I end up with.

My coop and run is going to cost a fortune, I have already dug out a place for it, I live in the mountains and my property is on a slope, the mason is starting this weekend on the foundation blocks I will post pictures as it goes along. I expect that once the block work is done if it does not snow right away I will start on the framing. Pics coming soon.....

I am getting my chicks from Meyer hatchery. I am getting an australorp, welsummer, Easter egger, and a Meyer meal maker.
You have such discipline... Just 4! I really should pare it down to 4 because thats all I am allowed, but I am on a half acre in the mountains and they will be in a fenced yard away from any neighbors so I am not too worried, should I get reported I have a weekend rental house a block away I may get a coop ready there... DH will be like, what? another coop? I wonder if people looking for a weekend rental in the mountains would be into the chickens or put off by them? Hopefully I do not have to move any.

I'm not new, but I have a new batch of chicks coming in the first week of January. Can't wait, and Meyers keeps on putting up with me changing my mind (adding chicks) every couple of days. 1 EE, 1 Blue Americauna, 1 NHR, 1 SpecSux,1 BR, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 German Spitz, 1 Lavender Orp, and a Meal Maker. Did I mention I can't wait?!

I'm not new, but I have a new batch of chicks coming in the first week of January. Can't wait, and Meyers keeps on putting up with me changing my mind (adding chicks) every couple of days. 1 EE, 1 Blue Americauna, 1 NHR, 1 SpecSux,1 BR, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 German Spitz, 1 Lavender Orp, and a Meal Maker. Did I mention I can't wait?!
Well we need some experience here too! How is it you are getting 7 in January I thought the minimum number of chicks in the winter is 15? I see we will both be having a blue Americauna, that's one my daughters pics so she gets a retirement plan. My other daughter (8 year old) is naming them things like Kung Pao and Rosemary, she is in for the entire experience but we shall see if we end up eating any. I am the sole vegetarian in the family, leaning toward Vegan but I am weak
hu.gif
I am going to feel so much better knowing my eggs will be coming from happy hens, and maybe the occasional chicken dinner for the rest of the family.

Welcome and I am looking forward to seeing your chicks, looks like you will be the first in the thread (so far) to get hens so the rest of us will be watching very carefully... lol

Gary from Idyllwild CA here

Back
Top Bottom