Pics

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
I am working on my first coop, the brooder will be in the coop and I am using the Mama Heating Pad. I am getting 7 chicks the first week of April 2017. I was hoping to get a few of us newbies together who are gearing up for our first time this spring! Lets post pictures of our coops, our birds when we get them and see who gets the first egg!

Who is in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here:)

THIS! Is the golden hour you get to enjoy from your chicky babies in a few short weeks
1f95a.png
1f60a.png
1f389.png

We are new to chickens!

We are getting our chicks:
2 blue laced red Wyandottes this Friday

Next Friday
2 Welsumners
2 Buff Orpingtons
4 Americanas .. Easter Eggers
2 Speckled Sussex

First 2 weeks in April
2 Salmon Faverolles
2 black austrolorps
3 White Silkies

Will post pics of our coop and run soon!
We need to finish adding in our sand. But have enough to start our 2 babies off tomorrow. You can clearly see that no chicks have actually lived in here yet!

automatic feeders

2nd MHP... will have our 10 babies using the main coop as brooder since we don't have any grown hens.

built in brooder. You can see under the brooder doors a piece of PVC pipe... that is our automatic waterers. I will have to get a better pic of those.

Ha! our doxie, Jasmine!

First timer here - here's our crew! We have 2 Easter Eggers (Ocean and Moana), 2 Buff Orpingtons (Rosalina and Jessica Fletcher), 1 Black Australorp (Violet) , 1 Black Sex-Link (Gertrude), and 2 Cochins (Betty and Daisy).

Here's a picture of my coop so far. It's a lot of work and I feel like it's going as slow as molasses. But there is a huge learning curve because I have never built anything before. Chicks arrive between march 14-16th. Then I have maybe 4 to 8 weeks before they have to be in the coop. Totally doable if the weather holds put up here in Massachusetts. If we have a monster snow storm I could be in trouble.

I just received a text message from McMurray Hatchery that my chicks have shipped!

celebrate.gif

I'm very VERY excited!! I can't wait to pick them up at the post office and share pics! I hope they have an easy journey!

Our rooster played the role of hero today. I heard a terrible fuss out in the coop and ran outside to see the latch open on the run, our rooster outside in the yard with blood all over the back of his neck, and a raccoon hauling butt across the street. The little monster bit off a piece of his comb, but he whooped it. It was screaming as it ran off...looked like Skipper may have gotten one of its eyes. My beautiful tough boy got a nice warm bath and earned some time in a diaper on the couch to watch tv....he'll be getting an extra special supper tonight.

None if the girls had so much as a scratch. I'm so glad the girl in the feed store just happened to grab that chick for us. He's the perfect rooster.

Last edited:

Day we arrived!

Mr. Henrey Roo (our Blue Ameraucana, if he is in fact a rooster, which we ordered on purpose)

Nibbles, our Blue Splash Maran (she's got pretty feathered legs)

Frost (our white super blue layer)

Golden Cuckoo Maran (she hasn't been named yet, also you may notice I change their names sometimes as I go so I apologize in advance if I do)

Juno (silver gray Dorking, she was our tiny runt and was a little weaker on arrival but she pulled through great and is near the top of their pecking order now)

One of our Easter Eggers

Our two Rhode Island Reds (I can longer tell who was who when little)

Our second Easter egger

One of our crested cream legbar (I love her little crest!)

And either our welsummer or Light brown Leghorn. I have a hard time telling these two breeds apart, but we think it is our Leghorn.
Sorry for the picture blow up on here, just wanted to share!!!!
Also many of babies (we have 16) would not cooperate this morning so not all are posted.

Back
Top Bottom