Spring Chicks vs. Fall Chicks?

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
Do you have a preferred time of year to get chicks - spring vs fall? Pros and cons of a fall batch? Or is it all the same to you?

I added 4 chicks in early April and had planned on adding some more to flock next spring. However, wondering if I should motivate myself to get the new coop/run done in time for a fall order. It really doesn't get super cold here until after New Years. My new coop and run will have a section to keep the chicks in a separate space as soon as they can be outside. I used a brooder plate in the spring, but they stayed in the house/in garage for a while (probably for too long). I was thinking I'd move the next round of chicks outside much sooner and still use the brooder plate, since I have access to electricity out there. We're often still wearing shorts in October, but if we get a cold blast, I can make space for them in the garage or the laundry room.

My kids just started school today after homeschooling for 2 years and now my house feels so empty, so maybe that's why I'm on "perhaps I should just get chicks now..." kick. All these fall chick hatchery marketing emails aren't helping either!

Now this is a great question. I've been like clockwork, a new flock every other year always the very first batch my local feed store in freezing cold winter. I use a MHP year after year and I brood outside but I also fret over temps. I'm constantly checking thermometers and in general working alot harder than if it was oh say July!! I REALLY want to change it up and start chicks in summer/fall! GO FOR IT!!!

Depends on your goals.
Eggs, garden helpers, and pets/entertainment. Never meat. Primarily a decent supply of eggs for my immediate family + parents and in-laws. I have 4 good layers (2 of them are 3ish years old though and starting to slow down, and 2 that are only 1 yr old), + 3 hatched in April and not laying yet (lost of one the 4 chick to a fox this summer).

Other factors to consider is climate and where you intend to brood. You are in Kansas so fall weather stays warmer (compared to midwest) during the days but likely cool/cold at night. Not an issue if you brood indoors but certainly acclimating the chicks well in preparation for cold would be a priority so you are not reliant on supplemental heat in the coop.
Personally, I would go for it. 😊

I love fall and winter chicks. Last year we hatched right before Christmas, and that was slightly challenging (more time in an outbuilding while the weather was bad), but we were able to get it done in our climate. It felt super worth it for the early eggs. With breeds that take a bit longer to start laying, you can have a spring batch that doesn't lay in the summer and then takes the winter off. Late fall hatch puts those two time periods together and gets you to eggs faster.

Back
Top Bottom