"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

@Chaos18
Thanks! I am hatching a surprise mix. The breeder stated the eggs came from their "silkies, showgirls and sizzles pen". So honestly I have no idea what will actually hatch! LOL
Ohh!!! I want some!!!

My Eggs are due the same time!!
Happy Hatching!!

Last edited:
Think my hatch is done, the 3 pipped eggs hatched in the night
jumpy.gif
The remaining 2 are showing no signs but I will candle when I move these hatched ones to the brooder. So as of now 12/14 have hatched that made it to lockdown.

YAYYAYAYYYAYA!!!! congrats!!!
Just set 13 Black Penedesenca eggs on Thursday, April 7th.
smile.png
Mornin karen!!!

Okay, I decided to set 40 for the April hatch. The 22 hens out of 34 chicks hatched in the Easter hatch we're going to be added to my flock, but I got a good offer for the entire hatch and took it. That means I still need more pullets by around September.

Good luck everyone.
Sweet!!!!

Well, lots of drama this hatch. Right now I have 6 hatched. One of the chicks zipped halfway & then got shrink-wrapped, and the two earliest-hatched chicks were pecking at it & drawing blood, so I was worried they would kill it.

So I ended up taking out the two oldest chicks & putting them in the brooder. Then I took the shrink-wrapped chick out & did an assisted hatch. I never did that before but after reading the information on here I decided to give it a try. I took it in the bathroom with the hot shower running, kept dripping water on the membranes with a cotton ball, & peeled the shell away from the membrane on about 3/4 of the egg. He kicked himself free after that but I didn't want to interfere too much so I left the bottom of the egg shell sticking to his butt & put him back in the incubator. I will try and get the rest of the shell off tomorrow when I put him in the brooder. I was really worried about opening the bator while eggs were pipping but I put some wet paper towels in & one hatched after that, so I guess it was ok.

Most of the chicks seem to have omphalitis, maybe that's why the zipper got stuck. Tomorrow I am going to put them all in the brooder & wash their butts & put some antibacterial ointment on. They all seem to be pretty active, except for "Egg-butt," so hopefully that's a good sign that they might pull through.
were the eggs washed? did the water get moldy in the bator?

Here are my two that I kept from my Easter hatch. One A&M Quail and one Sapphire/OE or Bantam Wyandotte. They are best buds.

love.gif

4 of my 9 from the incubator this week
awwwwwwwwwww

Good Morning!
frow.gif
Everyone Have a Great Day!
hugs.gif
love.gif

Quote:
lau.gif

Good morning, everyone! It's Good Friday (every Friday is good)!!!

It's only day 2, but I'm ready for some eggs to hatch!!
th.gif
barnie.gif

This morning is day 6.5 for the 24 EE/OE eggs and 12 royal palm turkey eggs I set so I went ahead and candled to see what's going on. The EE eggs were shipped and arrived with nearly destroyed air cells again (most roll freely around the egg) but at least 11 of them are currently developing. That's exactly how many started to develop out of the last 24 I was shipped and only 2 were able to hatch, so I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. BUT 11 of my 12 turkey eggs are developing! This is my first time incubating turkey eggs and my first time incubating eggs that were laid on my property and not ordered online, so I'm super excited to get some poults!
celebrate.gif

I have a bright LED hand held flashlight, to get a good seal i put play dough on it, i have lots of play dough and it works really well

Back
Top Bottom