"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Broody momma #2 hatched out one chick 3 days ago Her other eggs still nothing? Not sure when she started sitting so how long will she wait? I candled and they still look viable-can see veins and they are full grown.Will she know if they are dead? Baby number one is doing great eating and drinking :)

I think that should work
smile.png
and wow lots of chicks
Oh wow, that is a lot of eggs, chicks, and broodies! Lol out of curiosity how come she has so many?
because everyone contributed and she kept accepting them and wouldn't let us take any out , she finally tossed 6 eggs out and brooded 24, 11th one hatched sometime late morning today

I wouldn't try messing with a broody especially her first time brooding on how many chicks she was gonna sit on. Thats dangerous to your health, seems how we didn't give her any eggs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
because everyone contributed and she kept accepting them and wouldn't let us take any out , she finally tossed 6 eggs out and brooded 24, 11th one hatched sometime late morning today

I wouldn't try messing with a broody especially her first time brooding on how many chicks she was gonna sit on. Thats dangerous to your health, seems how we didn't give her any eggs.
Be prepared for her to leave those eggs. She'll need to get up to take care of the hatched chicks soon, and once she does, she's not going to come back to the nest to sit. That's why you should mark the eggs you give her to set, and remove anything that gets added. Once those chicks start hatching, her instincts shift from sitting on eggs to care taking of chicks.

Last edited:
Be prepared for her to leave those eggs. She'll need to get up to take care of the hatched chicks soon, and once she does, she's not going to come back to the nest to sit. That's why you should mark the eggs you give her to set, and remove anything that gets added. Once those chicks start hatching, her instincts shift from sitting on eggs to care taking of chicks. 

I have seen that people have success with removing the hatched chicks, then returning them when the hatch is complete.

I posted this in the chat thread, but thought I'd post it here as well...

I have 17 Auto-sexing EEs, 11 Frizzled EEs and 6 shipped silkies in lockdown
I have 15 Blue Wheaten Sulmtaler set on 4/9, 17 BCM, 24 Mille Fleur D'uccle and 6 Black Crested Polish set on 4/15, 12 Blue Buff Cochin, 4 BCM, 13 Olive Eggers, 2 Biefielders, 4 CCLs and 10 of my silkie eggs set on 4/19. I'm also hatching 60 eggs for Gotro17 - a mix of Lavender Orpingtons, Lavender Cochins, and BCMs also set on 4/19. Shellee's chicks will hatch at my house, then go back to her house. LOTS of eggs, 4 FULL incubators!

Happy Hatching everyone!

Back
Top Bottom