"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Quote:
Thank you! The little guy has quite the attitude
lau.gif

the last little chick, what is it? It has nice color.
They're all Serama. I can't wait to see what he'll look like when he feathers out!

Just took a quick peek under the front half of my broody. Out of the 8 eggs I set under her, I could make out 2 chicks and one egg, but I could tell if the egg had pipped or not. I did not want to disturb her too much so I could not see any other chicks or eggs.

Out of the 8 eggs I set in the incubator, 6 are currently in lockdown.

I should have my final count by the weekend.
fl.gif

So, I gave in and decided to take a better look under my broody. Glad I did. 6 chicks have hatched!!! Unfortunately, 2 of the chicks were actually out of the back side of the nest and were no longer under the broody.
sad.png
At first I thought one was dead, but upon moving the other one, it moved. I placed them both back under the broody, but now I am wondering why they are not doing well. Is it because they are cold (it's currently 55 degrees here and I have no idea how long they have been out of the nest) or did the broody kick them out of the nest because she sensed something was wrong with them? I guess time will tell.

So, I gave in and decided to take a better look under my broody. Glad I did. 6 chicks have hatched!!! Unfortunately, 2 of the chicks were actually out of the back side of the nest and were no longer under the broody.
sad.png
At first I thought one was dead, but upon moving the other one, it moved. I placed them both back under the broody, but now I am wondering why they are not doing well. Is it because they are cold (it's currently 55 degrees here and I have no idea how long they have been out of the nest) or did the broody kick them out of the nest because she sensed something was wrong with them? I guess time will tell.
Best of luck.

4 pips, two at the wrong end. I've got a feeling the incubator will be full of little chicks in the morning.
GOOD LUCK! I bet you will hear peeping in your sleep tonight.

Day 20 is almost half way complete and I have my first Silkie!!!!!

I also have 2 more pips....and a few internals pips as well!!!!
fl.gif
day 21 they pop like popcorn!
Congats. Awww, pretty coloring.

Day 20 is almost half way complete and I have my first Silkie!!!!!

I also have 2 more pips....and a few internals pips as well!!!! :fl day 21 they pop like popcorn!

My first Silkie just popped out too! It looks like yours, but I think it is a paint. I forgot how loud Silkie chicks can be too. I gave it my little chick toy and now it is quiet. :) My friend wants some of my Silkies but if this one has loud spots, I am keeping it!

Back
Top Bottom