"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

So sorry for your lose. It is heartbreaking when something happens. I have been battling healing and lose at out house too. I discovered a scorpion in our brooder today and I just don't think 2 of the small chicks resisted playing with it and appears 2 have been stung... recovering is not going well. Hugs to you and best wishes to your flock.
hugs.gif

So sorry for your lose. It is heartbreaking when something happens. I have been battling healing and lose at out house too.  I discovered a scorpion in our brooder today and I just don't think 2 of the small chicks resisted playing with it and appears 2 have been stung... recovering is not going well.  Hugs to you and best wishes to your flock.
:hugs

Hugs to both of you.

So sorry for your lose. It is heartbreaking when something happens. I have been battling healing and lose at out house too.  I discovered a scorpion in our brooder today and I just don't think 2 of the small chicks resisted playing with it and appears 2 have been stung... recovering is not going well.  Hugs to you and best wishes to your flock.

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about the scorpion. That's really rough.

Just a question, maybe ya'll would know the answer.
I love RIR as I grew up with them since I was little. The roommate works at the feed store & they got in the last shipment of standard sized Rhoade Island Reds for this season.
It looks like I'll be having to keep the banty mixed chicks I hatched out for my uncle:rolleyes: but the RIR are looking too good to pass up another year. I just love their personality. I think I have seen banty RIR. Does anyone know if the banty RIR have about the same kind of temperament the standard fowl do? I am not wanting some spazzy, flighty banty that hates people or it's own shadow. 
I remember them being calm, sweet & liking people. A little uppity at times but mostly the big guy, we did have a flock around 40 from when I was a baby til high school but they were always Reds.

I have heard that there are heritage Rhode Island Reds and hatchery or production RIRs, production red, etc. Supposedly hatchery New Hampshire Reds, Production Reds, and Rhode Island Reds are all somewhat the same bird. They a much lighter red in color and some of their personalities can be iffy, even large fowl, but a lot are nice. Heritage RIR are much much darker in color, almost a mahogany, with yellow legs, and they are also much bigger and have very very nice temperaments. Do you remember if you had heritage RIR or production reds? If heritage I would recommend finding a breeder. Both are excellent birds however, just a bit different depending on what you're looking for. Productions tend to be bred for better egg production while heritage are more the traditional older type. Both are nice though. I've never heard of banty RIRs.

I think @keesmom breeds heritage RIR??? But I might be thinking of someone else. I can't think of their name atm. It might be @cmom actually maybe????

Anyway, maybe someone can tag the correct person for me cause they may be able to help you out.

Yay! All 6 chicks are out!
yayyy!! So cute!

I set a total of 10 eggs this month so far.
what did you set , and when are they do?

So sad...and mad at myself. Came home to a drowned chick. We have the small chick waterers but it still drowned. Added marbles now. It was my Delaware with the messed up feet so maybe it was a blessing since I wasn't sure we could fix them as bad as it was, but still it is heartbreaking. 4 of 5 silkies hatched. I put them in a new brooder and moved the blind Moran with one of the other small morans into that brooder too. Hoping that the silkies will be nice to the blind Moran, but it was too upset at the move so I had to move one of the others over with it.
even though it is survival of the fittest it is still not fun, lots of hugs your way

oh my! A scorpion? We don't have those around here, is that something they could survive? More hugs needs!

Last edited:
Just a question, maybe ya'll would know the answer.
I love RIR as I grew up with them since I was little. The roommate works at the feed store & they got in the last shipment of standard sized Rhoade Island Reds for this season.
It looks like I'll be having to keep the banty mixed chicks I hatched out for my uncle
roll.png
but the RIR are looking too good to pass up another year. I just love their personality. I think I have seen banty RIR. Does anyone know if the banty RIR have about the same kind of temperament the standard fowl do? I am not wanting some spazzy, flighty banty that hates people or it's own shadow.
I remember them being calm, sweet & liking people. A little uppity at times but mostly the big guy, we did have a flock around 40 from when I was a baby til high school but they were always Reds.

Every RIR banty or LF have been hateful spazzy chickens. I have tried them twice from two different hatcheries. They have all been hatchery birds so maybe that is why...sorry

Last edited:
yayyy!! So cute!
what did you set , and when are they do?
even though it is survival of the fittest it is still not fun, lots of hugs your way
oh my! A scorpion? We don't have those around here, is that something they could survive? More hugs needs!
The scorpions are new to me and in my opinion my home is under attack. I know they are bad in central TX but this is insane, maybe the rain has made them worse? We purchased our home 3 months ago so we are still getting acquainted with it. My son was stung my a scorpion on Monday on his finger from one hiding in a shirt on the floor. I found a 3" one in the brooder this morning by accident because I almost ran into it and it started sprinting. I did a TON of research and adult chickens can survive and USUALLY EAT AND ENJOY scorpions. But these chicks are only 6 days old. One was stung in the check (we think we saw a swollen area on her chest). I don't know about the other for certain. They just got sick, lethargic, stopped eating and drinking and stopped moving. It could be coincidence but they were all fine yesterday morning...

I am also paranoid because of my son being stung. This is my first adventure with scorpions. We are shaking our shoes, sweeping, shaking clothes and spraying like crazy. YUCK!!!!

The scorpions are new to me and in my opinion my home is under attack.  I know they are bad in central TX but this is insane, maybe the rain has made them worse?  We purchased our home 3 months ago so we are still getting acquainted with it.  My son was stung my a scorpion on Monday on his finger from one hiding in a shirt on the floor.  I found a 3" one in the brooder this morning by accident because I almost ran into it and it started sprinting.  I did a TON of research and adult chickens can survive and USUALLY EAT AND ENJOY scorpions. But these chicks are only 6 days old.  One was stung in the check (we think we saw a swollen area on her chest).  I don't know about the other for certain.  They just got sick, lethargic, stopped eating and drinking and stopped moving.  It could be coincidence but they were all fine yesterday morning...  

I am also paranoid because of my son being stung.  This is my first adventure with scorpions.  We are shaking our shoes, sweeping, shaking clothes and spraying like crazy.  YUCK!!!!

I know it sounds crazy but go get a plastic box from Walmart and start keeping your shoes in it. Top securely closed.
We had bad fire ants and until we got rid of them we did that with our work and rain boots

Back
Top Bottom