"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Gooooooood morning everyone! :D I woke up. This morning to find the one that pipped last night has hatched! :celebrate

In the meantime both the EEs have pipped and I'm waiting on the other three to pip. I think two of them have internally pipped, but one of the EEs has pipped in the wrong spot. I have not dealt with this before and just want to make sure it will be okay hatching on its own and won't need my assistance? If so when will I know it needs my assistance, given enough time that I can save it without hurting it?

Here's what it looks like. Right now it's faintly peeping.

The black dot is where it is. It's like in the middle of the egg. Sorry that it's so hard to see. Little guy wanted to be wherever the flash light was. :p

Last edited:
ep.gif
Do you people never SLEEP???? I wasn't on much last night - not feeling too well - and when I signed on this morning there were 148 new posts! WOW!! So I skipped to the end, and that's that! Now I'm exhausted and must take a nap.......

Gooooooood morning everyone!
big_smile.png
I woke up. This morning to find the one that pipped last night has hatched!
celebrate.gif

In the meantime both the EEs have pipped and I'm waiting on the other three to pip. I think two of them have internally pipped, but one of the EEs has pipped in the wrong spot. I have not dealt with this before and just want to make sure it will be okay hatching on its own and won't need my assistance? If so when will I know it needs my assistance, given enough time that I can save it without hurting it?

Here's what it looks like. Right now it's faintly peeping.

The black dot is where it is. It's like in the middle of the egg. Sorry that it's so hard to see. Little guy wanted to be wherever the flash light was.
tongue.png
D.gif

Here's a better picture of the egg.

By the way this is the egg that I thought I saw two embryos in it. I still here fiant peeping, but any help please? :oops:

I have thought about high tailin' it back to Georgia but I REALLY love it here. Scorpions, snake, our mountain lion, giant wasps and killer centipedes seem to be a downside for sure!
killer centipedes too?
barnie.gif

we have snakes and mountain lions but i dont like scorpions or wasps

4 pips, two at the wrong end. I've got a feeling the incubator will be full of little chicks in the morning.
celebrate.gif

Day 20 is almost half way complete and I have my first Silkie!!!!!

I also have 2 more pips....and a few internals pips as well!!!!
fl.gif
day 21 they pop like popcorn!
Yayyy!!! I love silkies!

Our hatch is officially over. After five healthy lovely chicks, two early quitters, and two non-fertile duds, the last two developed eggs that didn't hatch with the rest have died in the shell. One was malformed, with some insides on the outside (very strange, fascinating and sad), and one (a little bantam I was really hopeful for) died today at some point. He was in the wrong position with his head down toward the other end, and judging from the little pool of dark blood, he may have tried to pip the wrong end and nicked his blood vessel. I am bummed, but I learned a lot and think since we ended up with only 5 from this hatch, that we might put another dozen on and join the hatch along for May!

And one note: has anyone ever candled an over due or suspicious egg and seen signs of distress from inside? in both the last overdue eggs the last time I candled with a flash light I saw what looked like the chick "panting" while it's body was mostly still. It may have been the beak trying to pip, but it didn't look like a peck movement, it looked like fast laboured gasps. Maybe next time i might intervene if I see the same thing going on.

Upside, we've got five little fluffy poofs in a warm bin eating and cheeping and being ADORABLE. I had so much fun with these guys and I can't wait to do it again!!!
Congrats on the 5, sorry about the losses, BUT good luck on the next hatch!

So after looking over the babies, I got 8 pullets and 3 cockerels in the Cream Legbars and 11 Birchen Marans! The one little pullet with the vaulted skull is drinking sav-a-chick and she is holding her head up and asking for more. I just feel like there might be something else wrong with her, she keeps her feet tucked like she were still in the egg and she does not tuck up her wings, they sort of droop. But she has started making happy baby noises when I pick her up, and she drinks the electrolyte solution in the syringe. She still sleeps a lot. The rest look super awesome, and if it weren't raining all this week I'd have a photo shoot out on the grass.
that's a good pullet/roo ratio! And they are so cute!

So, what happens if I am so addicted to reading the posts on this hatch-a-long, and to watching my baby chicks hatch and grow, that I can't get any of my other work done? I keep sitting down to do it, and I can't stop thinking about chickens!

@weegarden My April hatch update:
Apr. 3 10 out of 11 hatched 6 white silkies and 4 Plymouth rock
Apr. 13-15, in my classroom 8 out of 11 hatched. So, we have 2 white silkies and 6 Plymouth rock X any other rooster winner.
April 24-25 Out of 15 eggs, hatched out 7 Plymouth rocks and one blue silkie.
Set 55 eggs, that are due to hatch on May 2nd, but will have plenty of infertile, due to one rooster who is not doing his job. (Yep, I pitched a ton of these. I have 18 left.) Should hatch on May 3rd.

Exchanged the infertile black ameraucana rooster on Apr. 23rd, so I’m excited to be getting some chicks from my very nice black ameraucanas. The breeder was super nice about this, and I got to visit his beautiful farm again! Gorgeous!!!!

I found out that my Easter Egger rooster, in another pen, is also not fertilizing. He is old, and produced plenty of beautiful chicks, so it might be time to put him out to pasture. He was hatched when my daughter was in my first-grade class, and we have had him ever since. He was the reason we built our first chicken coop, and got the bug bad. J His name is Cock-a-doo-doo.

Found out that the rooster my students named Mikey, is a girl! The first-graders had a great laugh over that!

April Total Count: 26 chicks. 17 Plymouth Rock and 8 white silkies, and 1 blue silkie.

Ready for the May Hatch-a-long to begin! Hoping for some better numbers this month. :) I really want some more silkie babies badly! Praying for at least 1 baby from my beautiful show girl Princess, who layed her first egg in a very long time, and it is fertile!!!!! Yippee!!!!
Thats so awesome, maybe the kids could call it Mickey? i have a girlfirend named mickey

Got home from work yesterday and another Ancona egg had a pip. Wrong end of the egg but here's hoping it hatches
fl.gif
What is with all the wrong enders recently? C'Mon duckies!!!

ep.gif
Do you people never SLEEP???? I wasn't on much last night - not feeling too well - and when I signed on this morning there were 148 new posts! WOW!! So I skipped to the end, and that's that! Now I'm exhausted and must take a nap.......

I don't think many people on here sleep, ever, its exhausting keeping up
Hope you feel better!!

Thanks! I'm better now...just a quick case of the Wuzwels but I seem to be over it. At this point any chest discomfort scares me a little, even though I know what it is, so I tend to worry for a bit until my common sense takes back over!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom