"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Here is my candler. I used a piece of a blue pool noodle and some electrical tape. The foam part os great. My husband is letting me borrow his flashlight, he is kinda a flashlight hoarder IMO, so my foam part is removable. I could us a stonger light but the cover is cheap, awesome and temporary.
Love it! Hippie engineering at its finest.

I remember pla-dough from when my kids were little. It smelled like it was delicious (it's not).
ep.gif

It's just a nice salty snack.

Someone mentioned using the flashlight feature of a cell phone (it's actually the flash for photos) so I tried it, even though I have a dedicated candler. It's pretty amazing and, because it's so small, it's super easy to get a good seal over the air cell. Can't hurt to give it a try. (= PJ

Thanks. good idea. I generally have my fone with me when candling too. I use the voice memo part to make notes.

Morning. Hope you get to feeling better.

I hope you feel better, The weekend is coming!! Tell your body to buck up! LOL

Thanks! Lol Yeah no time to rest that's for sure! We've got a coop to finish, and about 40-some birds to move around this weekend. Add that to trying to keep up with a toddler...and I have 3 other kids too lol. Moms don't get sick days though!

Love it! Hippie engineering at its finest.
I LOVE Hippie Engineering. We have lots around the house! Have you seem my brooder?

Materials:
Old Base Cabinet
Old TV Cabinet
Hardware Cloth
Left over PVC
Chain and Eye Hooks
5 Gallon Paint Buckets, the ones you keep wishing you could take to the dump

This brooder is PERFECT for our family!
- It is side opening so our chicks are frightened.
- It is low to the ground so our kids can take care of the chicks as part of their chores. But, it can easily be put on saw horses to make it adult height.
- It is easy to clean and able to be used for lots of chicks and hatchings.
- The TV cabinet on the LEFT side is a clinic. There is space for sick chicks and all the medical supplies one needs. Extra lamps, droppers, gloves, purple stuff for wounds, electrolytes, marbles and more more more.
- The "clinic" and "cabinet brooder" are put together so chicks can see and interact with each other safely through hardware cloth. This makes it super easy to integrate different age chicks and get then To Know Each Other.
- The Light Bar is adjustable height and I can put TONS of lights on it. I have maxed as 3 heat lamps so far.
- Can be divided easily with cardboard or hardware cloth
- IT WAS CHEAP

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom