"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I already shared my hatch results, but thought I would throw in some pictures too. They are all Silver Double Laced Bantam Barnevelders.

6 out of 8 hatched under my broody (the 6th chick is hiding).

6 out of 8 chicks hatched in the incubator.

And now my Buff Orpington thinks she wants to be broody too. Decisions, decisions!
Very nice, especially the broody! We've hatched 5 yesterday and there are still some in the incubators. Lockdown for another set tonight. Yeehaw!

The last hatched, a runt and one of her normal sized sisters.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hope everyone is having good hatches and great spring time fun. I barely get on my phone in the spring. Just so much to do on the farm. Goldilocks my EE hen went broody two days ago. Just wanted to say high to everyone. And hope everyone is having a wonderful spring!!!!

Final Duck Hatch Update!

I have 4 wonderful Ancona ducklings. 1 Chocolate male, 1 "Likely Lilac" Femle, 1 TBD Female, and 1 Chocolate nonsexed. They are all happily waddling around and making a mess. They seem to love each other. They snuggle up together and comfort each other it seems. I did have a cord wrapped around on of the chicks (the one on the left in the first photo below, you can see were it was wrapped around her clearly even 2 days later). More info is below in case anyone encounters this.

My chocolate male "Cafe Latte"

Snuggling in the incubator together

Cord Wrapped Around Chick Info (maybe you need this someday) - I had one duckling born with the cord wrapped around i tightly. The cord held one wing down and she couldn't really balance. When the egg was completely detached from her and she was mostly dry I sterilized some first aid scissors, quickly grabbed the chick, clipped the cord (not removing or pulling it, just cutting it and kinda taking it off the skin) and put the chick back in in incubator. This chick still has a mark across its body with no feathers and a slight indention when the cord was. Her naval seems to be healing great too! You can tell which one she is because her feathers are kinda missing in a strip on the left side of her body. All seems fine with her at this point though.

The cord baby is the one in the front. You can see the "stripe" of no feathers going down her body. She is the one one the left in the first photo.
Congrats. How did you sex them?

5 Barnevelder Bantams and 9 Hedemora so far! 1 pipping. It's nearly the start of day 23.
fl.gif

Just looked up when my eggs went under the Broodies. Today is day 25. I got my first pip.
fl.gif

JUST PUT MY 17 EGGS ON LOCKDOWN!!!
fl.gif

Final Duck Hatch Update!

I have 4 wonderful Ancona ducklings. 1 Chocolate male, 1 "Likely Lilac" Femle, 1 TBD Female, and 1 Chocolate nonsexed. They are all happily waddling around and making a mess. They seem to love each other. They snuggle up together and comfort each other it seems. I did have a cord wrapped around on of the chicks (the one on the left in the first photo below, you can see were it was wrapped around her clearly even 2 days later). More info is below in case anyone encounters this.

My chocolate male "Cafe Latte"

Snuggling in the incubator together

Cord Wrapped Around Chick Info (maybe you need this someday) - I had one duckling born with the cord wrapped around i tightly. The cord held one wing down and she couldn't really balance. When the egg was completely detached from her and she was mostly dry I sterilized some first aid scissors, quickly grabbed the chick, clipped the cord (not removing or pulling it, just cutting it and kinda taking it off the skin) and put the chick back in in incubator. This chick still has a mark across its body with no feathers and a slight indention when the cord was. Her naval seems to be healing great too! You can tell which one she is because her feathers are kinda missing in a strip on the left side of her body. All seems fine with her at this point though.

The cord baby is the one in the front. You can see the "stripe" of no feathers going down her body. She is the one one the left in the first photo.
Cute, glad you had some hatch. I imagine the "cord" duckling will be fine once it feathers out.

5 Barnevelder Bantams and 9 Hedemora so far! 1 pipping. It's nearly the start of day 23.
woot.gif

Just looked up when my eggs went under the Broodies. Today is day 25. I got my first pip.

What kind of eggs?

JUST PUT MY 17 EGGS ON LOCKDOWN!!!

Good Luck!

Hope everyone is having good hatches and great spring time fun. I barely get on my phone in the spring. Just so much to do on the farm. Goldilocks my EE hen went broody two days ago. Just wanted to say high to everyone. And hope everyone is having a wonderful spring!!!!

Yes, spring is a busy time for many of us. Good luck with Goldilocks's hatch!

Back
Top Bottom