Spurs on Silkie Rooster

Withachickchickhere

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2019
Michigan
I'm new to chickens. I purchased a Silkie rooster last weekend. I was told by the breeder that he was about 9 months old. I didn't look him over extremely well because it was freezing cold out and the breeder insisted that we meet in a public place. I was checking him over today and I realized that he has SUPER long spurs. One is curling up into his foot. Can anyone guesstimate his age based on his spurs? Do I need to remove the curling one? I think the breeder lied to me!

Attachments

• 20190213_181215.jpg
    20190213_181215.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 20190213_181203.jpg
    20190213_181203.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 265
Happened to me when I was new to chickens, asked the seller for young hens new to laying and payed full price but ended up getting chickens so old they died 3 months later.
:hmm
I am very disappointed that we also paid full price, but he is a lovable Silkie Roo, so we'll take the time we have with him. He doesn't look like he had a very good coop life previously.

It is definitely starting to grow into his foot. He was a very good boy and let me and my husband trim them up tonight.
That's good.
I'd check him over real good for pests, hopefully you have him quarantined.
Any communication with the seller, or just chalking it up to a hard lesson?

I learned this lesson the hard way too, I had a roo I bought that was supposed to be 18 months old. His spurs were over 3 inches long. He also only sired 6 chicks out of dozens of eggs I tried to hatch. Now that is on my list of things to look for when rooster shopping. 18 month old roos shouldn't have spurs over 1-1.5 inches

Back
Top Bottom