Squatting

11 eggs by new hampshires in 8 days. Yummy

Hello I feel ya mine haven't started laying yet either. Squatting? Mine sit like laying? Is that the same?

Well, in my experience, squatting is a little different from sitting. If you get close to them when they're standing and they *suddenly* squat down with their wings bent but stuck out to the side (put your thumbs in your armpits and stick your elbows out), and you can still see their feet, they're squatting. It might be when you've reached out to them, but it's always when you get close. It looks almost like a defensive move, but they assume this position to indicate they're ready to accept the advances of a rooster.

I have one that squatted for the first time a week ago and has been ever since, but still no egg ... that I know of.

ETA ... some will stamp their feet when they squat, too, which is hilarious. I've only had one that did that. Obviously, if they can stamp their feet, they can't be sitting on them. Their feet have to be somewhat free. Plus when sitting like they're laying, they look all fat and fluffy. But, when squatting, their back looks flattened out and on a plane with their wings. You'll know it when you see it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom