squirrels eating my feed

smarsh

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2009
lexington, KY
I have had problems with squirrels eating my chicken feed. I don't know if the chickens are afraid of them, but they don't chase them from the run like they do birds. Anyway, I opened the door to the coop yesterday and a squirrel made a dash past me, leaping from the door jamb toward the adjacent tree. I am not sure what came over me, most certainly not good judgement, but I made a grab at him (it was a him) in mid air, ending up with tail in hand. I made a quick counter clock swing, jerking him backward from his direction of escape. The orbit was intended to end at the tree upon one revolution, but the squirrel made contact with a lone standing ancient split black locust fence post (standing in an old fence line, but too sturdy for me to remove), effectely ending the encounter. I don't recommend grabbing a live squirrel, but I did manage to come away unharmed. I figured he would be eating eggs, once the pullets were laying. One less pest to worry about.

Is this an enclosed run/coop? If so, tightening of security is all that would be necessary. If it is a run that is left open to allow for ranging, though, that would be a bit more tricky. Is your feed in the run or coop?

It is both inside and out. My run is inclosed but the fence is 2"x3" panels. I am not really interested in putting something else over it since it is of considerable size. I only see 3, now 2 squirrels in the neighborhood and don't know that all have been a problem. I plan to give it more time and see.
Are squirrels a common problem? do they eat eggs? I have not had problems before, but these guys got to expecting food over the winter when I was feeding birds.

If your food is in the coop, set a live trap in the coop.
You will catch the culprits.
Relocate or dispatch.
This is a learned individual trait.
I had to dispatch over a dozen in several months, now none in several years.
The squirrel population is still very high, they just don't "know" the food is inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom