SQUIRRELS!!!

My current coop was not built to be a deterrent to critters. I assure you the next one I build will be Ft. Knox. Im going to overdo everything. Im going to put real plywood, not sheeting, on the sides, and the celing. Then put tin on top of that plywood. IM going to put angle type sheet metal on every seam. Ill have a closed run on top. Then on the sides, ill dig a trench 8-12 inches deep and sink the wire into it then pour concrete into it. Nothing will dig in, or chew through. Ill use hardwire cloth for the first 3 feet if not the entire pen. Im tired of squirrels, rats, possums, and coons. The next time I build im doing it right. Im also running power and electricity into it. Ill have a brood box setup ready for the inside of my 8x16 foot coop. Im then going to paint it so it never has to be replaced. It will be epic. Im so irritated at the critters messing with my girls, including the coon that killed 2 and maimed 2 more. The maimed ones healed, but had nasty wounds.
I had one that survived getting her leg chewed off, i figure it was a racoon that did it. I made her a little peg leg so she could hobble around.

Do you let your flock free range? Do you leave the entrance to run/coop open when they're free ranging? I ask because only once did a squirrel get into the run but it was because when my flock free ranges, I leave the gate to run open. My run is covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth so I know they didn't get through that.

So far, I've had two wild birds in the run, one huge dragon fly and one squirrel.

Do you let your flock free range? Do you leave the entrance to run/coop open when they're free ranging? I ask because only once did a squirrel get into the run but it was because when my flock free ranges, I leave the gate to run open. My run is covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth so I know they didn't get through that.

So far, I've had two wild birds in the run, one huge dragon fly and one squirrel.
Yes, we do leave the door open. We used dog run chain link panels for the run. Squirrels ran through the chain link. We put up hardware fabric/cloth. That slowed them down but found new openings in the roof or by the door. Creative little creatures they are. Chip monks also foraged the feeder. Then we bought a treadle feeder. With extra measures we mitigated the army of squirrels.

It is not a good idea to feed squirrels or encourage them to be in your, or your chickens environment. They carry plague and tularemia, diseases transmittable to humans. Ground squirrels are also very destructive digging extensive tunnel systems which can then be occupied by rats! Squirrels will also urinate and defecate on your chickens feed. I send my rat terrier after them. They don't bother the chicken area since we got our rat terrier.

It is not a good idea to feed squirrels or encourage them to be in your, or your chickens environment. They carry plague and tularemia, diseases transmittable to humans. Ground squirrels are also very destructive digging extensive tunnel systems which can then be occupied by rats! Squirrels will also urinate and defecate on your chickens feed. I send my rat terrier after them. They don't bother the chicken area since we got our rat terrier.
Rat Terrier is a great idea. Squirrels and chipmonkls can carry the diseases you mentioned. Here ya go. http://www.gumbocooking.com/rabbit-squirrel-gumbo.html

Back
Top Bottom