Squishy crop, strange poop

Pics
I haven't, and don't know anyone who has. But from my understanding sugery is a risk with poultry. Personally I would go for it, if thats the option you have and all you can really do. But it is your choice, she seems to be a tough little hen.
Are you still giving her calcium? If so how much and how often?

I haven't, and don't know anyone who has. But from my understanding sugery is a risk with poultry. Personally I would go for it, if thats the option you have and all you can really do. But it is your choice, she seems to be a tough little hen.
Are you still giving her calcium? If so how much and how often?
I am doing the calcium but she seems to be eating well again so I was thinking of stopping. I'm not sure if it's needed since she is eating?
The ones I have are 400mg. I was giving them twice a day, now once a day

Last edited:
Here she is now... PXL_20220901_231157337.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Update-Maybelle had surgery today. It was long and the vet said it would be difficult. Once they began, they updated me that it would be even more difficult than they realized. The egg was collapsing, her reproductive tract is abnormal, her uterus is abnormal, and she had adhesions. They removed the egg, most of her uterus, and they think they removed the adhesions too. They are sending a sample to pathology results should come back in a week. Amazingly, she was attempting to stand up almost right after she was done.

She has to stay the night at the clinic and waiting for her to start eating and drinking.

How are you and your hen doing? I've been following the updates and kept meaning to write a note to wish her well and encouragement for you.
I had a seriously unwell hen at the same time as you first posted and I was following whilst I nursed her at home.
Hi!

She stayed inside last night and brought in a flockmate to keep her company. She perked up at the introduction of a friend! She wouldn't eat yesterday except a few seeds. I'm worried about that.

I'm eager for the pathology results. The vet said the egg was ectopic. To be honest, I'm not sure what much of this actually means. She made it sound like she can give more info once once those results are in.

How is your hen?

Hi!

She stayed inside last night and brought in a flockmate to keep her company. She perked up at the introduction of a friend! She wouldn't eat yesterday except a few seeds. I'm worried about that.

I'm eager for the pathology results. The vet said the egg was ectopic. To be honest, I'm not sure what much of this actually means. She made it sound like she can give more info once once those results are in.

How is your hen?
How is your girl doing? I've got one that has the EXACT same situation yours had. The egg is located high likely in the shell gland. Hasn't moved. Don't think it's down in the abdomen from what I can tell. Still high. Just had surgery on another hen this past Tuesday and I knew her issue was egg material in the abdomen as opposed to inside the oviduct. It was super low and easy to palpate. Anyway, hen with high egg is supposed to get a spay in two days. It has been two weeks since the egg got lodged.

ETA I just noticed you are also in Kentucky. Who is your vet? I go to one in Cincinnati.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom