St. John's Wort

I have a pullet, little over 3 months old, that is favoring her left leg. She's been doing this a week now. It's not getting any better, nor worse, except for the end of the day after she's walked around alot. Anyway didn't want to try this treatment without knowing, cause I'm really not sure. Here is a front and side shot. She really doesn't hold one leg in front of the other, but one is really weak and weird looking--

front:
23489_dsc02993.jpg

side:
23489_dsc02994.jpg

what do you think?

Courtney,

Thanks for the response.
I wasn't clear, I meant to ask if there was any chance of contracting Marek's from the chickens eggs?

Thanks again,
Shrader

Quote:
It could be splayed leg at this age? She never showed any of the signs until a week ago. I thought that was mostly in chicks, but I don't know much either LOL

Shrader: no, Marek's is a poultry disease only and even then it's very picky about affecting chickens only. Rarely does it ever affect ducks. Cook the eggs properly and you'll destory the virus.

It's more likely to occur in young birds, but it can occur in older birds too. It's sort of like a sprain. Older birds can't usually be fixed. I've had two birds get splayed legs when they were full grown. If she's favoring it, the leg may be dislocated, compare her hips and legs to a normal chickens, if there is any noticable difference in the way it feels/looks (other than the fact that it's facing the wrong way) it's likely dislocated. In that case you should take her to a vet to have it reposition and splinted.

Quote:
Excuse me?

The medical establishment operates on profit. When an alternative or natural treatment or cure which works becomes widely enough known, the establishment adopts it, as they have no choice. Meanwhile, we are generally offered treatments for symptoms, or expensive monitoring to detect early disease, rather than preventative therapy, or cures.

An example is that a daily dose of lysine can prevent herpes lesions from occurring. Not a cure, but how nice to be free of those sores.... The establishment still only offers expensive treatments for the sores after they occur. Zicam (zinc) to reduce cold symptoms is an example of an alternative treatment that became mainstream. It can actually stop a cold dead if started early enough. I imagine most members here could offer many other examples.

Back
Top Bottom